Air Training Corps (UK)

Real aviation pilots chats

Moderators: rd, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

Brain Licker
SurClaro senior forum member

Air Training Corps (UK)

Post by Brain Licker » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm thinking of joining the ATC or Air Cadets all paid for by the RAF (UK).
The ATC offers a variety of outdoor activities, one of the most obvious being flying lessons and air experience. If I join I could get 12 hours paid for by the RAF but would have to pay for the PPL final check ride thing.
Ive already had 3 trial lessons so far in the grob 115 also known as the tutor.

heres a video of what could be on offer for me:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wLB8-d5Etzk& ... r%20Cadets

if anyone has had experience in this please reply.
8) Check this out: Farmboyzims Flight-Sims :P

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

pilot_alex_14
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by pilot_alex_14 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:37 am

Hate to tell u ther r no JETS ther no one will lwt u fly a jet! Its ok though i go to Air cadets in Canada.

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 am

i know that :P

but if you do extremely well in different thing then ive heard that some one has had a ride in the back seat of tornados gr4 and f3 type. also you can get rides in transporters i think :D only one way to find out though!!

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:30 pm

I watched the video...did you notice the big grins on all those young people's faces ? Did you see the pride? Boy, I wish I had done something like that when I was younger!

webbert

Post by webbert » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:31 pm

I'm in the Air Cadets. Everything except for Drill is cool i'm doing the Duke of edinbrough Bronze and you get to do a load of cool stuff. You usually get to ride in the Backeseat of aircraft when you go away to RAF bases for the weekend. Some in my squadron have been in the Backseat of the Red Arrows. Before you are a uniformed and enrolled Cadet you will have nothing to do but Drill, Drill and Drill again untill you're perfect with it. Also you will have to do your PPL written exams by yourself

It is worth it and i wuld defeniatly recommend it. 8)

Ps just don't show up you're Flight Sergeant and Drill Sergeant on you're first day you'll regret it :cry: :-({|= . God they seriously hate me :evil: .

Will i ever learn ](*,)
"What goes up must come Down." Well we'll see about that :twisted:

jamesdad
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by jamesdad » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:04 pm

As an ex cadet I can only highly recommend it. I am now 43 but thirty years ago I joined, and stayed for three years or so. I went flying in glider, chipmunk, wessex heli. I had a great time, going to camp on RAF stations (some were lucky enough to go to RAF Germany). The dril can be a drain, but it is a necessary evil. It is the most efficient way of moving a body of people without vehicles-it instills discipline too.We went on one camp to RAF West Raynham, at the time they were still using bloodhound missiles! Rapiers only then being brought into service.Down the road from there was RAF Marham where Victor tankers flew from.
At West Raynham we went with two other squadrons from out local area.Had a drill competition (Instructed by and judged by an RAF Flight Sgt DI-you think ATC Flight Sgts are tough!!).
Our Sqn won hands down, the F Sgt later chatted with us and said we were far better than a lot of RAF recruits he'd seen, compliments indeed!

Join, enjoy it and get what you can from the friendship, the self discipline, the things you'll learn, about yourself amongst other things.

davidbrown2
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

As a Current Cadet

Post by davidbrown2 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:43 pm

You have to Join IMHO, I've Only Clocked up 1 1/2 hours flying in my 3 years, But the Camps and the People are worth It, In all honesty, Even though it is the ATC, You mostly do fieldcraft and shooting - Our Squadron Created a camp, It was called Mach 00 - Mach meaning Machrihanish, It was only for a weekend at first, but it became so popular (With our cadets and other squadrons), that we extended it to a week long camp, Last year it was taken away from us By Glasgow + West of Scotland Wing, they made it theirs, and It was a terrible camp, But I got to make friends I would never have made, People whom I would Never have met.... The Air Training Corps is Much More than Flying, It has instiled me with Discipline, Respect, I have Gained Flying Knowledge, I have become a Marksman with the L98A1 Rifle, I have gained a Little flying knowledge, and I have Gained Friends, Some very close friends with whom I would never meet.

Join the ATC...

It will probably be the best thing you will ever do!

PS... An NCO is Always Right, Even when its wrong, Its Right - Never Correct It - Thats something You will Understand when you join!
School - Possibly the worst thing to ever grace God's Green Earth - Unless you are Nearly Finished it - The Best Feeling to possible grace God's Green Earth!

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:20 pm

thanks for all the replies guys. :P
im going down to my local atc tomorrow (thursday) and join!
its the 1232 sq they've done loads of stuff and im looking foreward to the flying eventually! :D

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

webbert

Post by webbert » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Remember NCOs are usually bigger and have a lot more power than you have so try not to insult them no matter how much of a mor o n
"Ahem Flt Srgt Woods" they are :lol: lol
"What goes up must come Down." Well we'll see about that :twisted:

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:56 pm

hey guys,

ive joined as a recruit just now and itll be about 2 months from now that i will be a cadet.

im looking forward to the challenges ahead and ive already been put through drill which isnt as bad as i thought it would be.

there's a 13 year old that is a cadet, but when he's doing drill he keeps tick-tocking, making us all doit again. whats more annoying is when we're following his steps ("on the right"/"on the left" etc (those of you who do uk style drill will know what i mean)).

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Sun May 20, 2007 1:05 am

Hey Brain Licker, glad to see that you joined, I joined as a cadet many years ago, 66 Sqn, only my age forced me out, unless I took a commission as a F/O, clocked up 170hrs flying time on my 3822, left as a CWO........ Achieved RAF Marksman in shooting with 303 at Bisley, also, leading side drummer in the Sqn Band........ You will have a swell time ahead of you.... soak it all up son.. :D :D :D

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

sonicboom2885

Post by sonicboom2885 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:23 am

u gotta give it to the lil 13 yr old for trying. help him out some times. it will better define ur leadership skills. u jus never know wat u may learn or what is in store for you.
good luck brain licker. :)

groundsquirrel

are we...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun May 20, 2007 2:55 am

Are we paying attention to the dates of some of these threads? I am sure Brain' will be happy for the reply, but even he would consider it the height of "too much time on your hands" to be answering nearly year old posts :roll:
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

sonicboom2885

Post by sonicboom2885 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:09 am

lol i didnt pay attention to the first post - i was jus looking on the side bar on the main surclaro page =)
plus, encouragement is alwayz welcome :lol:

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 pm

hey thanks guys, i made this thread a while ago didnt i 8O :D

looks like im going to be up for promotion soon, according to a few of the current nco's

i remeber i may have told you about my gliding experience if not i have a bebo page (kinda like myspace) full of gliding pics i took that day, in other albums i have, are pics of when some of out sqn went bridge building.

*im not sure if u need an account to view these

Gliding
http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?P ... 4423896412

Bridge Building http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?P ... 4021238675

ive also had the chance to play football (soccer) for both my wing (dundee and central scotland) but also my region being scotland and northern ireland.
along with the 11 - aside game i also played 5-aside where we came 1st. that was a tough competition:D
apart from football, i've played a sport i would never have seen myself playing... rugby :P ive found that im good at it and as a prize we came 3rd. its not 1st but im happy with that.
finally, to win my sqn points, i entered myself for the athletics which took place last week. i came second in the 100m sprint and our relay team which i was a part of also came 2nd.

to top it all off i have been accepted to partake in a pilot - navigation course which earns me a cadet navigator wing and awards me 8 hours in the log book. originally it was to be flown from raf leuchars, not far from where i live and one of the raf's frontline bases. however due to the runways being closed between this summer and the autumn for relaying and extending due to the arrival of the new typhoon aircraft, the course has been relocated to mod machrihanish on the west coast of scotland.
if all goes well by the end of summer i will be an official cadet pilot navigator. :D

also by next year i hope to hold a uk ppl and be able to fly all over the uk.

finally, im becoming a sharper shot whilst training on the l81 (7.62 round) cadet rifle and l98 (converted british forces sa80 firing nato standard 5.56 rounds). experience comes with trigger time and i hope to get all the trigger time i can.

however busy my cadet life will get i know i will always like what im doing, whether it be drill, shooting or flying i will always enjoy it and carry it out to the best of my ability whilst helping others to achieve their goals. sounds corny huh, but if i can do that, i would be extremely pleased.
Last edited by Brain Licker on Mon May 21, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

sonicboom2885

Post by sonicboom2885 » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 am

i liked shooting with my 30-odd-6

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Mon May 21, 2007 9:46 am

Brain Licker, I can't begin to tell you how refreshing it is to hear someone like you, and with your age, Doing all the things you are now achieving. With a large percentage of the youth today running riot, and doing nothing with their lives, your a credit to your parents... Well Done !.

I know from my own experience, that without the ATC, I would be a lot poorer in knowledge, and confidence. Your a good lad.

Mel.
Last edited by mel wilson on Mon May 21, 2007 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

groundsquirrel

aye...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 am

Aye! A good lad indeed, which bodes well for his word. Would ye be for a jalapeno to go with that kaper? :)

sonicboom2885

Post by sonicboom2885 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:59 pm

But u know Mel, there is something u said......... how 'Brain Licker' is a testament to his parents.
Well Mel, the truth of the matter is, i think its due to parents like you and lot of other folks on this forums. If you guys are in this forum helping out people, are patient and kind, then im sure thats easily 10 fold as a parent. So really, that thankx go to people like you all for raising kids up right. And im sure all of you who are parents here, have tried ur best for your kids, and u know, thats all u really can do, whether or not they see it or appreciate it. I figured i would comment becuz for me, its not something i leave unnoticed. Im sure some of the guys here are grandparents as well.......... one of the biggest joys i had as a child, now reflecting on it, was being able to talk with my grandfather before he passed away. At times i catch myself talking to the elderly when im out n about randomly as well...... ya jus never know what info they might have to share.
I know right now, there is no way in God's green earth i can ever make it up to my parents for all they have ever done for me.
I can only hope one day that i'll be a good dad.........
hopefully a good doc too..... 2nd yr outta 6 is almost finished. hopefully i can get done by 25, get married, n get on outta here n into the real world. hopefully as well i can serve my country too. =)
Cheers to all Dad's n Grand-dad's on this forum.
-Sonic

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sun May 27, 2007 10:19 am

Nice one Sonic :wink:

Mel.

sonicboom2885

Post by sonicboom2885 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:39 pm

hey, im jus giving credit where its due right? :D

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Sun May 27, 2007 9:05 pm

yep, i may have had a strict upbrining but it has paid off.

an update in my cadet life..

today we had the Dundee and Central Scotland Wing drill competition. this not only included drill but a pre-parade inspection.

our position for the drill routine was third, we didto nt expect come third, but we were pleasently surprised! for the inspection (quality of squad uniform) we came second, only missing first place by 4 points! our flight sergent, who we and many other squadrons thought was the best not only in personality but also communication of drill orders etc, came second also. everybody believed she would win it.

the overall feeling afterwards was immense. the flight sergent was pleased that everything went as near to perfect as could be. the halts sounded perfect, the slow marching was perfect and the salutes as well as marching with change step was also perfect. however due to what we feel was 'faulty judging' we came third.

heres what we did, exactly tht (please note the strange way the squad commander marches(slightly weird) also the way he brings himself to a halt (again incorrect as he kicks out his check pase with his left leg))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eozJKOLCUjE

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:32 am

yet another update once more.

as part of the pilot navigation training scheme that i have been awarded a place on for this summer, i have recently been told that i am to go an get measured up for my kit, such as flying suit, jacket, boots etc.

it also means i get a morning off of school as i have to travel to RAF Leuchars :D

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

tomcatdriver2006

Off we go into the wild blue yonder, flying high

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Mr. Brain

Congrats! Be safe, Fly safe, Come back and tell us about it!

Luck Mate!
TD

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Brings back many happy memories, wish I could turn back the clock. Soak it up son, enjoy ! And well done.

Mel.

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:14 pm

thanks guys, cant wait. getting 8 - 10 hours free flying plus if i get my flying scholarship next year, that takes me up to 20 to 22 hours.... all free :D

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

tomcatdriver2006

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm

And that my friend is how we make a pilot! fast!
lol

WAY TO FLY!

FREE. My favorite tune! BE SAFE & STUDY!

I want to see u over here at my airport. Give an old bomber nut a FREE ride. McCook, Nebraska, -5 GMT, ICAO: KMCK on FS map.

I'm on a major jetway! 1/2 way beteen SFO and JFK. (as crow flies)

Good luck Brain Man!

Steve Hinson
McCook, Nebraska , 69001
USA,
CDT, -5 GMT

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 pm

slap me silly and call me larry :D

i just got promted :D im now corporal
yaaay ive now got something to put on my flying suit

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

groundsquirrel

just...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:59 pm

Just be careful you dont put "something" IN your suit..... :lol:

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:21 pm

im home from my 2 week pilot nav course. it was ace, so many stories such as lowlevel flying and formation stuff etc!!!

heres some pics from the camp : http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbum.jsp?Memb ... 5044749917

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004