Chernobyl..is it there in FS9?

Share your experience, or get help from the experienced ones.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Chernobyl..is it there in FS9?

Post by harkonnen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

I was thinking about how the massive particle collider on the French-Swiss border would be a neat scenery item...if there was anything above ground to see. Then I got thinking how big facilities like that would make good spots for air rescues and emergency aircraft, etc..in the simulator. That got me to wondering if there was any attempt in FS9 to represent the Chernobyl facility. Is it there? Is it in FSX?
I'm going to go look in FS9. Will report back.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:36 pm

Not having any luck with 'Pripyat', 'Chernobyl', or 'Kiev' within FS9's available start locations. Maybe I'll have a look for Freeware add-ons, just for fun.

EDIT: Cursory searches at Simviation and Avsim revealed a "Chernobyl' for FSX, but nothing for FS9.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:02 pm

Actually, while browsing for FSX screenshots around the 'net the other day, I came across a shot with the Chernobyl facility in the background. I have no idea if it's FSX default or add-on though.

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 pm

I dont know if you want it or not, (probably not) but i found an addon for UKBB Kiev Ukrane ..... http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:xSi ... cd=1&gl=us

Got some other decent things on there if i might add (not related to what you want though) .... but I'll keep looking around also for you. 4 eyes are better than 2.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Hark,

Just performed a Google Earth search, which I have set to show airport icons. The nearest airport (as far as I can determine) to Chernobyl seems to be Gostomel Airport, aka Antonov Airport (UKKM) which is located a short distance northwest of Kiev, and IS represented in FSX.

Chernobyl is located some distance due north of the Gostomel airport, but how far precisely, I can't say because I don't know how to make Google Earth give me that information. I'm such a Newb!

But until someone can supply the answer to your question, I'm firing up the Maddie Beech and setting course due north from Gostomel to see what I can see. I'll report back later.

Jaeg-

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 am

OK, I've flown all over the area in the Maddie Beech in FSX, then switched over to low and slow in the Bell 206 Hopter-Copter. Chernobyl is not represented by default in FSX and I doubt that it would be in FS9.

My guess is that Chernobyl is hallowed ground, much the same as Ground Zero in New York is sacred for you and I. Your disaster rescue idea is certainly a valid one, but if you think this through to an inevitable conclusion, Microsoft designers probably, and very wisely so, chose not to include such consecrated elements into any version of FS. Yet why did they choose to include the Pearl Harbor Memorial over the USS Arizona and other similar landmarks around the world?

Personally, I really respect the wisdom behind why certain, shall we say... "delicate" elements weren't represented in the default FS. But I wouldn't doubt for a moment that someone will, or already has---as you suggested---created a scenery download for the area in question.

Your thoughts, anyone?

Jaeg- :)

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 am

I don't think it's there for FS9, but maybe that screenie showed a default FSX scenery file. It might just be a matter of finding it.
I suppose you could just watch for mutant Russkies with 3 arms and a certain 'glow' in their eyes.

Hang on...that's not funny.

Hee hee.

Okay, maybe just a little funny.

Unless you're one of the mutants.

And yes...yes...I do find it easy to make fun of people that are very very far away.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:53 am

LOL, we posted near the same time Jaeg. well, if it isn't in FSX, maybe I can find the download again that is an add-on, and post a pointer link.

EDIT: Sure, I have some respect for corporate decisions when they claim they're trying to be 'sensitive', but in the back of my mind I often wonder if they're more 'sensitive' to peoples plights, or 'sensitive' to how sales may be affected. Often, when trying to please everyone, especially worldwide, you dilute the original idea down to a watery, weak mess.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 am

No doubt about it, Hark. I'ts a corporate policy. By default a good one, I think. But the best thing is that MS pretty much left open the back door for allowing Us to privately and publicly shape the world as we see fit. We can have our cake and eat it too, but by Third Party means! Thank goodness for that!

Jaeg-

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 am

If you can or find it for FSX, you may certainly install it in FS9.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Mighty Mel found it guys........ For FSX:

http://www.simviation.com/simviation/st ... 63&page=16

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:37 am

2 questions about the chernobyl scenery that you found....

1. it says that it was built and tested in an FSX SP2 / Acceleration .. will it work if I do not have SP2 / Acceleration for FSX??

2. Will most scenery (such as this) work in FS9 ???? {i thought they might be coded differently ------ and will FS9 Scenery work in FSX???}

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 am

Good find Mel, thanks. I have installed the scenery in FS9 and will get back to you on compatibility, there might just be some parts of the scenery that won't show up, where he used default FSX objects that aren't in FS9.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:21 pm

@ Prop ........ I dont have acceleration, max is SP2, so I cant answer your question, best suck it and see.

if you fly NNW from one of the Kiev Airports:
Kyiv UKBB Boryspil'
Kyiv: UKKK Zhuliany
Kyiv UKKM Antonov
Visual navigation is easy- just follow the river NW from Kiev Sea.

If you cant find it, Slew to these Co-ords

Lat. N51' 22.80'
Lon. E30' 7.68'

Dont eat the berries...... :?

Mel.

UPDATE: Installed in FS9, but there is no sign of it, I am assuming the co-ords in FSX are the same in FS9
Attachments
01-10-2009_15-13-55.jpg

WiredrawnMurder45
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Re: Chernobyl..is it there in FS9?

Post by WiredrawnMurder45 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:38 am

To everyone's question "Is Chernobyl/Pripyat/Kiev in FS9, i have been searching around the entire river heading north from the Antonov airport in Kyiv in my Sikorsky S-55 for near 4 hours for you guys and my answer is: No. The only thing i was able to find were a few small houses few and far between and forests. I think the reason why they chose not to include the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone (now considered CEZ for short by many) was due to public relations with Russia/Ukraine as this is a highly classified, and highly sensitive operation and area and as the US government asked Microsoft not to include Ground Zero, Russia denied Microsoft permission to make the CEZ. Hope this clears as many questions as possible :wink:

mel wilson

Re: Chernobyl..is it there in FS9?

Post by mel wilson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 am

Well its certainly available for FSX as a download, just went and had another look.

Mel.