my hometown airport

Share your experience, or get help from the experienced ones.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, gbesoain, Cat1, skipperdan

lambo14
SurClaro senior forum member

my hometown airport

Post by lambo14 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:47 pm

ahhhh my hometown airport looks like crap! There isnt even a main terminal, all thats in its place is a control tower twice as high as the real one! (the real control tower is atop the terminal) the airport in question is Smith Reynolds (KINT) in Winston Salem North Carolina... Anybody know if there is scenery out there that does my favorite airport some justice? Ive looked everywhere!

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:22 am

If there isn't... AFCAD and digital pictures are your friend, you can make the airport your own real baby.
Honestly, most of the small airports are not real in the game. The scenery sucks and there is nothing there. But if you go out snapping pictures of the place, make sure you tell the people at the airport what you are doing! You will find it less stressful that way.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

lambo14

Post by lambo14 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 pm

Iv'e fixed up the AFCAD to make the taxiways and such closer to the real thing (using sattelite imagery), but what i want to do is remove the control tower that is there, and make a terminal (with the tower on top) and put it there. I do NOT know how to do this at all, and wouldnt know where to even begin

wheelright
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by wheelright » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:26 pm

I feel your pain. I am also interested in any suggestions made here. Both my local airports KDNL and KAGS have some serious deficiencies, like holes in the taxiways, extra or missing taxiways, missing VASI/PAPI not to mention the buildings are all wrong. Using AFCAD2, I got pretty close to the real thing as far as the runways, taxiways, helipads lights and aprons are concerned.

Since I thought I had the physical layout done to my satisfaction, I've also been looking for the time and proper way to improve the scenery and buildings. I've got RWY12 but, just have not had the time to learn to use it well yet.

To add to the fun, it looks like I might as well put KAGS on hold for now. The last time I was out there, I didn't recognize the place. They have finally started the new terminal building and will be re-arranging the taxiways and aprons around the new construction. It's a mess out there and I've yet to see a plan of what the final layout will be. As soon as I've got it, I'll try and post the new AFCAD file for it.
Last edited by wheelright on Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

lambo14

Post by lambo14 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:42 pm

see the thing is, Smith reynolds used to be a fairly busy airport back in the day (before my time). Now most of the business has moved to Piedmont Triad Intl which is just a short distance away. Smith Reynolds is home to Pace Airlines, which was bought out by Hooters Air. But it is mostly a general aviation airport nowadays. There is an annual airshow there once a year that draws quite a crowd, this year it is scheduled for september 10th and 11th I think....
And there IS a terminal... which is located where the control tower is in FS2004, since the tower is on top of the terminal (and has that cool spinning light thing going at night).

-on a side note, when I was younger, the people there let me tour the tower... quite an experience. Nice bunch of folks

lambo14

Post by lambo14 » Fri May 06, 2005 1:41 am

hmmm... could always go there and take photos. There wouldnt cart me off the premises in cuffs would they? I 'm not very sure what the security rules say about that kind of thing.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Fri May 06, 2005 2:39 am

Ask them if you can take pics. Take some documentation with ya like a printout of the AFCAD graphic to support your claim. Most times, if you ask nice enough you'll get what you need.

Did you check this site out for any info? http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

Exx

groundsquirrel

In addition...

Post by groundsquirrel » Fri May 06, 2005 11:10 am

In addition, many airport managers tend to have pretty nice overhead pictures of the airport. Maybe they will let you have a copy of it or take a picture of the picture with a high res camera (with good lighting and flash off if it is covered with glass).
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

lambo14

Post by lambo14 » Fri May 06, 2005 11:32 pm

yeah i checked the site out. I also found a sattelite photo on airnav.com which I used to fix up the taxiways.

jonmkj
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Ancient post resurrected.

Post by jonmkj » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi everyone. I'm Lambo14 from above... it has been so long since I've been on here, I forgot all my login information so I figured creating a new screen name would be best, especially as it's the SN I use everywhere else now.

I REALLY dug this old post out of the bottom of the bin... it's almost six years old. But my reason for doing so is that I wanted to show you all something, and to thank you all for giving me my original jump start.

Read the original post, and then have a look:

rd

Re: my hometown airport

Post by rd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:02 am

Just ONE pic??? #-o :roll: :oops:

How ya doing, been a long time. Welcome back.

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:42 am

Ahh Grasshopper, you have done well.
Seriously - that's *beep* nice!
Makes flying into that airport two hundred times more satisfying eh?
The fun and satisfaction factor makes all those times of banging your head off the desk worth it, eh?

Once again, hats off on the learning curve, and a 'real' airport success story.
Are you posting it up for download somewhere?

jonmkj
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jonmkj » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks guys! It's still a work in progress, but it's getting very close to completion... and it's been a long time coming. I may try to charge a couple bucks for it to help offset the school bills... I'm in a CTI program now, hopefully I'll land a job with the FAA as an ATC in a couple years, but for now the costs are kicking my broke rear end! I will let you know more as it develops.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:22 pm

First impressions, very nice, would to see a few more screenshots once you have completed

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html