Photoshop question...

Share your experience, or get help from the experienced ones.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

garry2005
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Photoshop question...

Post by garry2005 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:56 pm

Hey gang:

Is anyone on here reasonably proficient with Photoshop-7?

Garry

Pilotwannabe
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Pilotwannabe » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:11 pm

maybe.... maybe not... what's your question?

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:21 pm

Yes, with photoshop 6.0.1, 7.0, CS AND CS2.

What ya need Garry??

Ardie/rd

EDIT BY Ardie:Photoshop 7.0 sucks, don't get it. You need alot of plug-ins that the other 3 don't
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

garry2005

RE:Photoshop

Post by garry2005 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:03 pm

Hi guys...thanks for the potential rescue, here!

Okay, here's the scoop: I'm trying to create a banner for the new LewisAire VA website....I have a PSD file of the logo (Lewie the Cat), and of course it's on a white, square background when viewed in Photoshop. I need to get rid of that white background, and super-impose just the bust of Lewie on top of a GIF image (aerial screenshot). But I'm completely lost...dunno a single thing about layering, patching, masking, and apparently that's what is involved.

The other issue is this: When the banner is complete (screen shot, company name, and Lewie The Logo), I'd like to have blurred (faded?) edges around the whole thingie, instead of putting it inside a rectangular box...boxes I can do, but they look like...well, boxes!

Thanks again,
Garry

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:48 pm

All you really need... http://www.tutorialoutpost.com/photoshop-basics/

What you want to do is delete the white, put Lewis on the topmost layer, keep your image b/g, do an effect on the egdes and save it as a PNG file to preserve transparency. Usually how it's done. Check out that site for tips and tricks...you won't regret it.

Exx

garry2005

Post by garry2005 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm

Uh-huh. I'm told that brain surgery is pretty simple, too...for brain surgeons.

>>What you want to do is delete the white, put Lewis on the topmost layer, keep your image b/g, do an effect on the egdes and save it as a PNG file to preserve transparency. Usually how it's done.<<

Exx, old boy, I'd bet my favorite neighbor that you intended for that to be helpful, but alas, it was so far over my head as to be invisible. When I said I know "diddley" about layering, masking, patching....I weren't fibbing, y'see. BUT...I have your messsage saved, in the unlikely event I sould stumble onto someone who can understand it :cry:

Thanks for the help, though. I'll check out that link too.

Garry

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:41 pm

Yeah, those are the basics of Photoshop. You need to get familiar with those before you can really do anything. Layering, Masks, Alpha, Channels...all basics. I did not include masking in my previous advice as that is quite complicated when trying to superimpose images and takes a lot of time to go over it.

Savvy has a few really good books out for Photoshop. I highly recommend them. Check out your library to see if they are available and be prepared to renew your loan at least several times as Pshop is quite the complicated program, and the manual is very thick. And that link should give you some ideas as well. Stick with it, I've been at it for over 14 years and I still don't know everything about Pshop...

Exx

garry2005

Post by garry2005 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:19 pm

Exx:

Yeah, I hear you. Problem is, this is just a task I need to do...I haven't the desire or need to become a P/S expert. For the rare times I use it, I generally get by okay, and it wouldn't be practical for me to stock up on books and dedicate my life to learning all the tricks of something I might use 5 times a year. If I was going to use it every day...or even regularly...that would be another story. But in this case...figuring out how to remove the background of a picture...it would be like learning how to design and build an airliner so I can take a trip to Chicago.

Anyway, thanks again...I'll get it worked out one way or another.
Garry

bluetop
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

picture it

Post by bluetop » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:11 am

o.k. I don't want to step on toes but you might try a program called"picture it!" also by microsoft,kind of a dumbed down version of photo shop. if you are in a hurry its pretty easy to use. BUT photo shop is worth learning ,it really is a great program.

rd

Post by rd » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:47 am

Garry,

Hey man, I have everything you need, and can do what you need done, not a problem.

Sorry for the late reply, but if you can PM me, I would be more than happy to do your banner for you. I do alot of editing on the side for $$ for other photographers as well as Industrial Artists and graphic designers.

This ain't squat for me. Just let me know, be happy to help ya out.

Ardie/rd
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

garry2005

Post by garry2005 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Hi Bluetop:

Thanks for the reference...I'll certainly check into it.

Garry

garry2005

Post by garry2005 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:37 pm

Hey gang:

To everyone who was trying to help with my Photoshop issue...fix yourself a fresh Martooni and kick back and relax; I've got it figured out good enough to do what I need done.

Thanks for the feedback and for the offers...if I can help any of you guys in any way, you know the drill; just ask.

Garry