FSX - any reliable AMD processors benchmark?

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Juraj
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

FSX - any reliable AMD processors benchmark?

Post by Juraj » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Does anyone know where to find test of AMD processors regarding FPS increase in FSX on the Internet?

I am considering to upgrade from 3800+ (one core) to X2 6000+. I am wondering how much it can help. I found many tests and reviews with other games but not with FSX.

Thank you

Juraj
Vancouver

mjrhealth
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by mjrhealth » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:24 pm

Ok well here goes. Original specs. Pre SP1

Asus M2N mobo
AMD X2 64 4600 CPU
2 Gig DDR2 667 MHZ CAs 5 Ram
Nvidia 7900GTS Video 256 Meg
2 X 250 Gig Hard drives

I first upgraded video card to Nvidai 8800 GS 320 Meg. No FPS increse whatsoever. Nada 1
Then Upgraded CPU tp AMD 64 X2 6000, I gained 5 t0 6 FPS with same settings. All pre SP1

I then upgraded ram to 2 Gig DDR2 800 MHZ cas 4 ram and gained another 2 or 3 fps.

Now after SP1 i have frames locked at 25 with 80% traffic, most sliders up high.
System is now
Asus M2N mobo
AMD X2 64 6000
2 Gig DDr2 800 MHz ram cas 4
Nvidia 8800 GS 320 Meg ( get the 640 its needed )
2 X 250 Gig Sata Hard drives

I hope this helps a little.

Juraj
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Juraj » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:47 am

Thank you mjrhealth for your useful info. This is exactly what I was interested at.

We have similar HW. I have:
mobo Asus M2N32
AMD 3800+ 64 (1 core) - overclocked by 10%
2 GB RAM 533MHz
nVidia 7900GT KO Superclocked
1x 320 GB HDD SATA II
SoundBlaster x-Fi

After installing SP1 I can fly almost over any large city and airport with "at least" 15 fps (outside city 25+):
Terrain and water: all at medium
Scenery comlexity: Extremely dense
Autogen density: Sparse
Ground scenery shadows: off
All other graphics setting at full
Traffic only at 10%.

After pumping-up the traffic to 100% I am experiencing drop by 5-6 fps compared to 10% traffic setting (over Vancouver). So after upgrading from 3800+ to 6000+ X2 I should get the same fps but I will enjoy full traffic.

If anyone else has similar experience with upgrading please post it here.

Thank you

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:35 am

Looks like the only beneficial upgrade is the processor. Every other component is fine.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

bromster
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

FPS

Post by bromster » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:11 am

Also, I believe the 8800 is a DX10 card. I think that might also have a noticable effect on the framerate. (I haven't tried one, so i'm not sure if it will increase or decrease the FPS). I think RD will know more on that topic.

Bromster.

Jrtec13
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: FPS

Post by Jrtec13 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:42 am

bromster wrote:Also, I believe the 8800 is a DX10 card. I think that might also have a noticable effect on the framerate. (I haven't tried one, so i'm not sure if it will increase or decrease the FPS). I think RD will know more on that topic.

Bromster.
I just got an 8800 GTS today and I didnt notice one difference in performance, my pc specs are

AMD x64 Dual core 4200 (2.2GHz each)=4.4 GHZ
2.5 GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS pci-e

tomcatdriver2006
SurClaro senior forum member

well

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:21 am

As many should know this, and they do not, LEARN about this:

Duo-core technology is not saying "I have a twin CPU at 2.2 GHz each for a total of 4.4."

WRONG.

It is still 2.2.

ALWAYS will be, unless you have TWO IDENTICAL, but SEPARATE buses. What happens if one fails?
Not 4.4 now, but 2.2. Sorry, you can't have twin settings on H/W and software. Not yet.

This AMD CPU is rated at 1 MB L2 cache, 256 KB L1 cache and is running at the CRITICAL NUMBER THAT COUNTS of 1 GHz FSB.

THAT NUMBER is MY 1st product feature I look at. DOES IT MATTER to my MOBO's FSB?

Look, 15+ years ago CPU's, MOBO's and buses DID NOT have THESE RATES. BUT, the industry matured AND FASTER THAN ALL OF US THOUGHT!

IN the day a 1 GHz CPU P-II might have a MAX FSB of 300-400, IF you had the bucks. THE HDD was AND IS critical in helping reduce the bottleneck. The IDE's and SCSI's could only help FPS if the HDD could "buff" out to the host a min. of around 1 GHz.

It was not until the mid 90's did the OEM's figure hot how to reach the MATCH point of FSB-CPU to
FSB-MOBO. THE HDD had to be at a minimum a SERIAL-1 ATA, running 10-15,000 RPM, with a buff of 8mb MIN. 16 is now standard and does well. This would push data transfer rates to the 1 gig/s mark.

THE CPU was already kicking 4th gear. CPU buses were still ahead of the board bus, not perfect but good.

Today, to increase frames for gamers, which is out pacing the business end of the market, IT IS NOT SO IMPORTANT about speed as it is about BANDWIDTH.

At 1 GHz on the CPU's FSB, IF your board has a FSB of 1 GHz, & your HDD can push data at a consistent 1 GHz: or 1 GB/s That GHz speed is STILL an equilibrium math formula based on the laws of physics: e.g. 300 MHz = 300 MB/s & on HDD's, Mobo FSB. etc.

GOOD SETUP: HDD-SATA2 =3.0 GB/s, CPU at 3.0 GB GHz (REMEMBER! 3.0 GHz = 3.0 GB/s!) & MOBO?CPU FSB's BOTH at 3.0 GHz. NOW the only thing faster is the S-DRAM, which it ALWAYS will be.

Now add the card at say 1 GHz Memory Clock speed, 2x 400 MHz DAC's or higher, THEN ALL are nearly in equilibrium. Think about this. THE SLOWEST PART OF THE TRAIN is NOW THE VIDEO CARD, So HOW FAST WILL THE UNIT RUN THE SIM?

This video card for 600bucks is out classed by a 78 buck CPU, YES, I can get that model from Newegg. 1 GHz, the slowest part is the bottleneck! Answer: MAKE ALL PARTS in STEAM ALL the same FSB speed and as fast as ALL can BE. Forget about ram for now, RAM is still king, THEN you will have a setup nearly 1:1 or at equilibrium. DATA in speed is same as Data out speed. Achieve this. Then work on other things.

For this is the crux of the issue, NOT CPU raw speed.

SO WHAT if you have a 3 GHz CPU DUO at 800 FSB? The MOBO is running you say at 1 GHz?

Guess what, you MOBO is downstream and is faster that the CPU upstream. This called NEGATIVE equilibrium! Where is the bottleneck? In the CPU. IF ALL other items in river the same.

Clear the path, keep all h/w speeds on the FSB nearly the same and VERY high. Push a FAST card on that, THEN you WILL see FRAMES!

Nobody , EVEN mentioned the MOBO's FSB, The HDD ATA100 or 133? OR SATA1 (one person did mention SATA. BUT not enough data of critical nature to buy a NEW CPU based on ONE ITEM!

THINK OUTSIDE the BOX. THINK in an abstract 4 dimensional thought pattern. It will appear in your mind then. Until then, 2 dimensional thinking will always be your downfall in unraveling these types of math problems. IT'S ALL MATH!

Not to mention the physics, which I do not want to write a treatise on.in this forum..

Review what I wrote at AMD, with ANY tech paper from AMD or Intel. I am right, (I THINK!)
LOL : )

Then frames per second will go to a higher number index.

Thank You,
Tomcatdriver

Jrtec13
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: well

Post by Jrtec13 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 pm

tomcatdriver2006 wrote:As many should know this, and they do not, LEARN about this:

Duo-core technology is not saying "I have a twin CPU at 2.2 GHz each for a total of 4.4."

WRONG.

It is still 2.2.

ALWAYS will be, unless you have TWO IDENTICAL, but SEPARATE buses. What happens if one fails?
Not 4.4 now, but 2.2. Sorry, you can't have twin settings on H/W and software. Not yet.

This AMD CPU is rated at 1 MB L2 cache, 256 KB L1 cache and is running at the CRITICAL NUMBER THAT COUNTS of 1 GHz FSB.

THAT NUMBER is MY 1st product feature I look at. DOES IT MATTER to my MOBO's FSB?

Look, 15+ years ago CPU's, MOBO's and buses DID NOT have THESE RATES. BUT, the industry matured AND FASTER THAN ALL OF US THOUGHT!

IN the day a 1 GHz CPU P-II might have a MAX FSB of 300-400, IF you had the bucks. THE HDD was AND IS critical in helping reduce the bottleneck. The IDE's and SCSI's could only help FPS if the HDD could "buff" out to the host a min. of around 1 GHz.

It was not until the mid 90's did the OEM's figure hot how to reach the MATCH point of FSB-CPU to
FSB-MOBO. THE HDD had to be at a minimum a SERIAL-1 ATA, running 10-15,000 RPM, with a buff of 8mb MIN. 16 is now standard and does well. This would push data transfer rates to the 1 gig/s mark.

THE CPU was already kicking 4th gear. CPU buses were still ahead of the board bus, not perfect but good.

Today, to increase frames for gamers, which is out pacing the business end of the market, IT IS NOT SO IMPORTANT about speed as it is about BANDWIDTH.

At 1 GHz on the CPU's FSB, IF your board has a FSB of 1 GHz, & your HDD can push data at a consistent 1 GHz: or 1 GB/s That GHz speed is STILL an equilibrium math formula based on the laws of physics: e.g. 300 MHz = 300 MB/s & on HDD's, Mobo FSB. etc.

GOOD SETUP: HDD-SATA2 =3.0 GB/s, CPU at 3.0 GB GHz (REMEMBER! 3.0 GHz = 3.0 GB/s!) & MOBO?CPU FSB's BOTH at 3.0 GHz. NOW the only thing faster is the S-DRAM, which it ALWAYS will be.

Now add the card at say 1 GHz Memory Clock speed, 2x 400 MHz DAC's or higher, THEN ALL are nearly in equilibrium. Think about this. THE SLOWEST PART OF THE TRAIN is NOW THE VIDEO CARD, So HOW FAST WILL THE UNIT RUN THE SIM?

This video card for 600bucks is out classed by a 78 buck CPU, YES, I can get that model from Newegg. 1 GHz, the slowest part is the bottleneck! Answer: MAKE ALL PARTS in STEAM ALL the same FSB speed and as fast as ALL can BE. Forget about ram for now, RAM is still king, THEN you will have a setup nearly 1:1 or at equilibrium. DATA in speed is same as Data out speed. Achieve this. Then work on other things.

For this is the crux of the issue, NOT CPU raw speed.

SO WHAT if you have a 3 GHz CPU DUO at 800 FSB? The MOBO is running you say at 1 GHz?

Guess what, you MOBO is downstream and is faster that the CPU upstream. This called NEGATIVE equilibrium! Where is the bottleneck? In the CPU. IF ALL other items in river the same.

Clear the path, keep all h/w speeds on the FSB nearly the same and VERY high. Push a FAST card on that, THEN you WILL see FRAMES!

Nobody , EVEN mentioned the MOBO's FSB, The HDD ATA100 or 133? OR SATA1 (one person did mention SATA. BUT not enough data of critical nature to buy a NEW CPU based on ONE ITEM!

THINK OUTSIDE the BOX. THINK in an abstract 4 dimensional thought pattern. It will appear in your mind then. Until then, 2 dimensional thinking will always be your downfall in unraveling these types of math problems. IT'S ALL MATH!

Not to mention the physics, which I do not want to write a treatise on.in this forum..

Review what I wrote at AMD, with ANY tech paper from AMD or Intel. I am right, (I THINK!)
LOL : )

Then frames per second will go to a higher number index.

Thank You,
Tomcatdriver
made a simple mistake. didnt need the lecture though, after I made the post I realized I had mis said what my cpu was, I was just too dang tired to correct it. and I am not rich so I cannot get the latest and greatest things that come out, when I bough my pc the 4200 was all I could afford, i needed a new vid card badly so thats what I got first.

tomcatdriver2006

Lecture? please!

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm

look kid, u'r 16, I am 51, DIG that.

I WAS NOT LECTURING. You have NEVER BEEN TO A REAL lecture I bet.

I was answering the ??.

That was my THOROUGH "OVER on hour of thought", kindly written out statement of facts.

Yes, YOU THINK you might need a Video card, THE OLD BAND AID Solution.

THINK outside the box, as it is, YOU DON'T think, YOU REACT.

Reactive people NEVER WILL GET IT!

Someone goes out of their way, WAY out, EARLY in the morning. Makes a nice and REALISTIC FACTUAL paper. For what? TO BE TOLD: HEY OLD MAN, SHUT UP. I know all that, I just want a card.

Don't bother posting if you cannot fathom the XP OS or PC's in general.

This stuff I told you has ben around for 25 years. Nine years before your birth.

So back off!

Do it yourself.

No help from me.

PROMISE !

I want my Vid Card! Well go get it. You do NOT need to post when you hit the head either!

Sheesh!

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Jrtec13 ....... Tomcat is right, i fully support what he says, and I dont see it as him lecturing you, he took the time to answer your question in detail, only for you to shrug it off without a second thought.

If you miss-typed what you meant, Steve is not a mind reader, he can only answer you question as he see's it.

Maybe you should back down on this one, and hopefully apologise and get back to normality.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

Jrtec13
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Jrtec13 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:37 pm

tomcatdriver2006 wrote:look kid, u'r 16, I am 51, DIG that.

I WAS NOT LECTURING. You have NEVER BEEN TO A REAL lecture I bet.

I was answering the ??.

That was my THOROUGH "OVER on hour of thought", kindly written out statement of facts.

Yes, YOU THINK you might need a Video card, THE OLD BAND AID Solution.

THINK outside the box, as it is, YOU DON'T think, YOU REACT.

Reactive people NEVER WILL GET IT!

Someone goes out of their way, WAY out, EARLY in the morning. Makes a nice and REALISTIC FACTUAL paper. For what? TO BE TOLD: HEY OLD MAN, SHUT UP. I know all that, I just want a card.

Don't bother posting if you cannot fathom the XP OS or PC's in general.

This stuff I told you has ben around for 25 years. Nine years before your birth.

So back off!

Do it yourself.

No help from me.

PROMISE !

I want my Vid Card! Well go get it. You do NOT need to post when you hit the head either!

Sheesh!
Ok, I just have been having a bad day. I know its not an excuse but if you have been me the last few months its been real shitty. I mistook your post for yelling at me and other stuff, I am sorry. I do know what I am doing though with computers, I build them and I do all my own work on my computers. I mistyped when I made my post and I fully understand what your saying. Yes I thought a new video card would help my video card wasn't up to snuff with FSX standards which ask for pretty much a government supercomputer to play. I did think a new video card would help...MY MISTAKE. You got to remember like you said I am 16 and I cannot get a job (parents say I need to concentrate on school than a job) and pay for my own hardware. So It took me well over 4 or 5 months of mowing laws, doing extra chores and all that other great stuff. Yes my 4200 is slow as hell, but thats all I can and probably will be able to afford for the next year or two. Also I didnt tell you to "HEY OLD MAN, SHUT UP. I know all that, I just want a card. " I know there is more than just a card, and I do not tell people to shut up. Yes I knew what you posted, I just was real tired and wasn't using my brains when I posted.

tomcatdriver2006

Young man,

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 pm

You keep the attitude you have right now. You will fo amzing things.

I know you did not SAY shut up, BUT it FELT like it..

On the other things, remeber to hold back as long as you cna, tell others your day is cra p. WE UNDERSTAND, I was aWILD 16 and my dad let m know what was expected of mr.

Just keep your nose to the grindstone, all is ok with me,

Hope u get everythng you work for.
Man juist ate dinner, fslling asleep.hrer
nihjt
Yhanks for th aapolgy.

Steve hinson eow i am sotired noew

Y

Jrtec13
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Jrtec13 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:18 am

I would have though my x2 4200 would have beengood enough to get more than 13 fps on medium high, idk what else to do.. I have the SP installed and I probabilly got 2 frames difference, btw I still have an ATC problem where I cannot hear them but I can read the text only game I have problem like this on.

P.C Specs

AMD Dual Core 4200
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
2.5 GB ram