Problems w/fsx

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

albyone
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Problems w/fsx

Post by albyone » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I more than met the minimum requirements for fsx but found that what they say on the box is simply not true. The PC I have is one I built 4 years ago and hope it would be my last. I am 74 years old and don't anticipate builiding another.
I have and Intel pentium 4- 2.4ghz
I just added a gigabyte of memory for a total of 2gigabytes and since I am stuck with agp bus I upgraded to an ATI X1950 with 512 mem.
Even with these additions fsx runs like it pulling the weight of the world the only way I can get to run smoothly is to put all sliders in the lowest position. Does anyone know if the addition of sp2 will help this in anyway.
If not then I guess it is back to fs9.
Edward :?

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:32 pm

SU37Berkut wrote:Hello,

You need 15.3 Gigabytes of memory to install FSX, are you sure you only have 2 GB?

I hope your problem is resolved soon.

Best wishes,
SU37Berkut
This has been deleted by me. This is not correct, nor any help.

@ albyone... Do you have the SP1 installed??? If not, you can get it here... http://fsinsider.com/Downloads/ You also need this first to install it.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 9c36f85647

There also alot of tricks and tweaks for making your scenery better and faster. Some are available here, and at AVSIM.com . Do check them all out.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

albyone
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by albyone » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm

You need 15.3 Gigabytes of memory to install FSX, are you sure you only have 2 GB?

I do have sp1 installed. Do You mean that I have to have 15.3gig of ram.?
albyone

secretsquirrel
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by secretsquirrel » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:44 am

Thats why RD deleted that post. You don't need 15.3 gigs of ram, I don't think there are any motherboards out there that could handle that yet. 2 gigs of RAM is good for FSX, your not gonna max anything out, but its ok. As for the rest I would take RD's advice and see what works for you.

viche12345
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by viche12345 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:13 am

This seems like a very powerful computer. My computer's performance can't match with that of your machine. And yet, I get good performance with the sliders around the middle. Something's definitely wrong.

What kind of background processes do you have running (disk defragmenter, antivirus, etc.)
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

SU37Berkut
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by SU37Berkut » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Dear RD,

When I go to my FSX folder and right click it and hit properties, it says; Size: 15.4 GB (16,558,145,136 bytes). Is that true? :? Or is my computer somehow messed up? :?

Thank you in advance,

SU37Berkut

P.S. It also says I have 595.92GB total memory.
I am running Vista Home Edition on a HP Media Center PC m8120n.
I have an Intel VIIV Processor, and a NVidia Pure Video Graphics Card.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Sounds about right, but it depends on your addons, mine is 14.6gb

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

Noddy1966
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by Noddy1966 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:32 pm

:D My FS9 is folder is 160 GB and the FSX is fast approaching 100 GB :wink:

rd

Post by rd » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:46 pm

SU37Berkut wrote:Dear RD,

When I go to my FSX folder and right click it and hit properties, it says; Size: 15.4 GB (16,558,145,136 bytes). Is that true? :? Or is my computer somehow messed up? :?

Thank you in advance,

SU37Berkut

P.S. It also says I have 595.92GB total memory.
I am running Vista Home Edition on a HP Media Center PC m8120n.
I have an Intel VIIV Processor, and a NVidia Pure Video Graphics Card.

SU37...
Your 15.4GB size is Hard Drive Disc space, not RAM or Memory.

As for your Graphics Card, all the Nvidia 6 and 7 series cards are Pure Video cards. Need to find out which one you have.

Here's the specs I found for your rig: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pav ... 72845.html

RD
RD

SU37Berkut

Post by SU37Berkut » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks RD,

I guess you learn something new every day. :lol:
Sorry about the wrong information Albyone. :oops:

Thank you all again, and sorry for any inconvinience.

Cheers,
SU37Berkut

rd

Post by rd » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:42 am

No problem.

Everybody has or had to learn one way or another. I still get corrected every now and then.

RD
RD

Jrtec13
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: Problems w/fsx

Post by Jrtec13 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am

albyone wrote:I more than met the minimum requirements for fsx but found that what they say on the box is simply not true. The PC I have is one I built 4 years ago and hope it would be my last. I am 74 years old and don't anticipate builiding another.
I have and Intel pentium 4- 2.4ghz
I just added a gigabyte of memory for a total of 2gigabytes and since I am stuck with agp bus I upgraded to an ATI X1950 with 512 mem.
Even with these additions fsx runs like it pulling the weight of the world the only way I can get to run smoothly is to put all sliders in the lowest position. Does anyone know if the addition of sp2 will help this in anyway.
If not then I guess it is back to fs9.
Edward :?
I have the same issues as you, even when I put everything on minimum it still runs very poorly

AMD 64 X2 4200
3.5 GB ram
Windows vista 32bit
PNY 8800GTS 320mb

drmweaver2
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by drmweaver2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:08 am

Acceleration/SP2 is supposed to provide frame rate increases up to 20%. However, that will obviously vary from machine to machine and is quite dependent upon the area that you fly in - not to mention the position of sliders.

That being said, I believe that your machine should run FSX with Acceleration/SP2 at a smooth rate with sliders somewhat off the left peg. For instance, I only run ground traffic and ship traffic at 8-12% as this doesn't matter much to me and they have a significant hit on FPS/smoothness. Something that is definitely "FPS/smoothness greedy" is AI traffic in the air and that is definitely an individual machine adjustment. It is more important to me that ground traffic --- and fights with me for primacy over VFR/ground scnery details. It's a balancing act.

I have installed and run FSX on two different machines and for some reason, the higher spec'd one doesn't see as big an improvement with Accel/SP2 as the lower spec'd machine.

The usual advice concerning defragging, disabling virus scan and unneeded processes are "goes without saying" things that I know you're aware of.

I hope you get it figured out. I think FSX is a definite visual improvement over FS9 as I had it and I am sure you'll enjoy it if you do get it running smoothly.

Best of luck.

AMD 64 x 2, 4400+ 2.3 GHZ
4Gig Ram
Vista 32 bit
8800 GTS 320MB