FSX and Windows 7

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

gbesoain
SurClaro senior forum member

FSX and Windows 7

Post by gbesoain » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I've been using FSX SP2 over windows 7 for almost a Week and I must say that so far is a very good combination, I've seen improvements on frame rates, as you may know W7 cames with DirectX 11 and it seems that FSX is taking advantage of my old DX10 compliant Nvidia GFORCE GT8800.

If I have some "free" time will try to get direct comparisons (left my PC as dual boot with XP)

Does anyone have this combo? Anyone has something to share about it?

Regards.,
G

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi Boss.........

Iv'e been taking a good long hard look at W7, I am at present looking to upgrade the old PC, and was wondering if I should install Windows7, your findings have steered me closer to it...... Thanks for the report, these are the things I need to see. :wink:

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

gbesoain

Post by gbesoain » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:45 pm

To let you know, my current rig is a modest AMD Athlon X2 2Ghz, 2GB Kingston DDR2-1066 (One module), XFX Gforce 880 GT 300+ (Latest nvidia drivers) MB memory over an Asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA (nForce 430).

rd

Post by rd » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I just put this thing together back in April/May. I'm running VISTA Ultimate 64 bit, and must say I am not too happy with it.

I'll probably get W-7, but it's missing things that were on Vista and XP that I really like.

If you can supply some more info "G", it would be appreciated.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 pm

When Microsoft introduced free downloads of Windows 7 (Ultimate) 64 bit Release Candidate approximately last May (2009), I installed it, creating a dual boot system adjacent to my existing OS, Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I will be able to continue to use 7 for free until June 1st of 2010 after which I will have to purchase a "key" to continue using the Ultimate Version.

The only other software I have installed on the Windows 7 Ultimate side is FSX (SP1 and SP2) and no other third party addons at this time. As I understand it, should I decide to stay with the Ultimate Version of Windows 7, I will have to reinstall the OS again, plus reinstall any other software that I've added into it, including the OS itself, FSX and any third party addons. That's why I've kept my installs to the Windows 7 side of my dual boot to a very bare minimum.

Windows 7 comes in three flavors. Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate (in either 32 bit or 64 bit). As soon as I can afford it, I will definitely be moving up to Windows 7 and I will definitely want a 64 bit version in order to take full advantage of my 4 gigs of Ram---which of course my current 32 bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium does not fully utilize. But I'm questioning whether or not I would want to purchase Windows 7 Ultimate when either Home Premium or Professional might fully suit my purposes. My big computer demands since time out of mind have been of course, "gaming" and secondarily, Video Editing. So I've a little homework to do before I make the final decision that suits me.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that since I've moved my "single man's household" in the early spring time, I've completely forgotten about Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit residing on my PC and haven't done a single titch of testing in many months. :oops:

Well, I don't know if these few links will help you "G", but here are a few for you and everyone else to take a look at. Failing that, let us know what your thoughts/intentions are. Hope this helps.

Jaeg- :wink:

Here is an interesting MS link to info about the release candidate program
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... 53205.aspx

Here is a link to Windows 7 General Info
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Here is a cross comparison chart of all three flavors.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... fault.aspx

121a

Post by 121a » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:06 am

I too was a RC tester and found it much smoother than Vista Home Premium 64bit. As you can see in my specs i have a fairly good system and it runs great on it. With that being said, I also got a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard 64bit three weeks ago and I love it. IMO much better for everyday things like Word, Email, Photos, ect. Plus I have W7 installed on it too with FS9 :lol:

Anyway, i was in FSX on W7 64bit Ultimate and it was nice. A bit jaggy at times but i am using REX 2.0 so that could explain it...

I suggest if you are looking to build a new comp/upgrade/re-install Vista that you just go get an OEM copy of 7 Premium for $110, well worth it IMO.
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:58 pm

rd wrote:I just put this thing together back in April/May. I'm running VISTA Ultimate 64 bit, and must say I am not too happy with it.
I'm with you on this one... My scab job of installing the XP hard drive is still the way I am running mine. I have not flown in since around the June time frame, no FS9, FSX, or X-Plane. Just kinda lost all interest in it all. I seem to have lost all interest in any gaming really.
Nice new rig and it mostly sits there LOL.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

121a

Post by 121a » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:24 am

same with me too. but today i went and toured Lewis University and their aviation facilities, got me wanting to fly, lol...
Specs
Raidmax Smilodon Green Case
Sythe Kama Cross cooler
Intel Q6600 Quad Core @3.2ghz
8gb Corsair Dual Channel DDR2 800
Zotac 9800GTX OC'ed
250gb WD sata 3gb/s
650w Corsair PSU
FS9 on high-40 (locked) fps 35-40fps at high traffic airports
FSX high-low 30 (locked) fps 20fps at deserted airports