REFERENCE GUIDE TO FSX.CFG TWEAKS

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

REFERENCE GUIDE TO FSX.CFG TWEAKS

Post by jaeger52 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

A Quick Reference Guide To FSX.CFG Tweaks
For FSX ONLY!

***I thought some of you guy's might appreciate a more comprehensive, quick reference list of FSX.cfg tweaks in one place, so I've done a little more
research on the subject and here's what I've come up with thus far. Keep in mind that none of these tweaks are my own works. I've merely collected them from other forums and flight sim sites. Please feel free to add to the list or report bad results here! (Jaeg-)***

[-X WARNING: ALL CHANGES THAT YOU MAKE TO YOUR .CFG's ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

THE FSX.CFG TWEAKS LIBRARY

FSX.cfg WHERE IS IT?

The FSX.cfg file is located in \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

New for Windows7 users: C:Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX Update by Mel.

DISABLING ANNOYING BRAKE AND OTHER ONSCREEN MESSAGES

To turn off the red warning text messages, change any or all of these lines in FSX.cfg from True to False:

InfoBrakesEnable=False
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False
InfoPauseEnable=False
InfoSlewEnable=False
InfoStallEnable=False
InfoOverspeedEnable=False

TURN OFF ALL SCREEN MESSAGES (for Videophiles)

Add the following line to the end of the [MAIN] section of the FSX.cfg file.
HideInfoText=1
This will remove messages such as replay, brakes, virtual cockpit and zoom etc. and takes a little getting used to!

AUTOGEN TWEAK

Many of you have been frustrated that you can't control the density of autogen trees verses buildings because we only have one slider to cover both of them.
Some have also been frustrated that our lowest autogen setting is more dense than FS2004 at max density. If you add these two lines to the [TERRAIN] section of your FSX.CFG, you can define the max number of objects in a terrain cell for trees and buildings independently. The slider will scale down from the numbers you set as the slider is moved to the left. The max tree value in FSX as released is coded to default to 4500 and the building default is 3000 (as shown below) and the absolute max FSX will recognize at all is 6000. Of course if you raise the values beyond the defaults, you will obviously be increasing density and lowering fps (so don't complain if you do this...). The point in sharing this information is that with these settings you can specify what the values are yourself. I had to edit this post because of a bug. Be sure not to set either number to 0 as that will cause problems, but setting it to a very lower number will give you nearly 0 objects.

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

FASTER TEXTURE LOADING?

For faster texture loading you might be able to change the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to a higher value. For example:

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

You might add :

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of
0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading. Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value.

CORRECT STUTTERS AND POPS WHEN TURNING OR VIEW PANNING

Add the following Section to the FSX.CFG file

[BufferPools]
PoolSize=5000000

According to Brian at Aces this may help if you are getting stutters/pops during turns or when you pan your view around. The default is 1000000. Increasing
it to 5000000 or 10000000 trades off some of your video memory against having to re-allocate these things all the time.

[-X Attention ! On some systems this tweak can cause FPS drops and disoriented graphics. If you get in trouble, disable this entry.

HOW TO ADJUST THE CAMERA PAN RATE

Open your FSX folder in Windows Explorer. Scroll down to the Cameras.cfg. Open with Notepad. You can make individual pan rate adjustments to the:

Virtual Cockpit Camera,
Spot Camera and
Locked Spot Cameras.

PitchPanRate equals Up and Down Panning
HeadingPanRate equals Left and Right Panning

Play around with these settings to get the camera panning rate results you're looking for. The greater the number the faster the camera will pan. The lower
the number the slower the camera will pan. Remember, these settings will affect the pan rate in all aircraft!

EXAMPLE ONLY/////\\\\\DO NOT COPY: [-X

[CameraDefinition.002]
Title = Virtual Cockpit
Guid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}
Description = This is the description of the virtual cockpit view.
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.7
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=15 <----- Adjust numbers only.
HeadingPanRate=20 <----- Adjust numbers only.
PanAcceleratorTime=0
HotKeySelect=1

Save your changes and try them out in FSX.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Re: REFERENCE GUIDE TO FSX.CFG TWEAKS

Post by harkonnen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks bud - bookmarked. I'll be needing this once I get a PC that doesn't choke at even the thought of running FSX.

gbesoain
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by gbesoain » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Great contribution!!!! =D> Marked as sticky

Regards.,
G

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:55 pm

gbesoain wrote:Great contribution!!!! =D> Marked as sticky

Regards.,
G
Thank you, G! Especially for the shiny new star and "Top Contributor" status! :D :D :D

Jaeg-

gbesoain

Post by gbesoain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm

jaeger52 wrote:
Thank you, G! Especially for the shiny new star and "Top Contributor" status! :D :D :D

Jaeg-
You deserved it long long time ago... I hope that you can continue sharing your knowledge to current and future SurClaro users.

Thanks
G

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 am

Great addition Bruce, thanks for the work you put in in order to bring it together =D>

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks Mel!

I can't tell you how many times I've done .cfg work, then lost it all due to HDD crashes or my own stupidity. The having to find my way back...it can be a huge process as you know. I've kept notes of my changes over the years, but when things are going smoothly the notes get trash canned over time.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

In order to save me from myself, I decided to throw up a couple of threads about making popular changes to the FSX.cfg file and General changes. A little like Hansel and Gretel leaving behind bread crumbs to find their way back home during their short walk in the deep forest. My work is not completely full-proof, I admit! But it's a nice little repository that should benefit anyone who wants to "tweak" their FSX settings.

If you or anyone has other suggestions/submissions that will advance this work, please feel free to add them.. But please be explicit and and short as possible!
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm having trouble locating FSX.CFG in my new Windows 7 files. I want to make some edits to take away most, if not all troublesome screen messages so that I can make better movies and screenshots. Even after following Mel's updated pathway (Thank you Mel!), The pathway you provided is not working for me.
New for Windows7 users: C:Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX Update by Mel.

I suspect that its probably due to some damned default settings in my new Windows 7 OS. Using Windows Explorer, I only get as far as C:/User's/Bruce. after which there is no reference for Appdata, which would then lead me to Roaming and the rest of the thread. What am I missing here?

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 pm

Bruce,

I can confirm that after re-checking, this is the correct path you have listed:

C:Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

Mel.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm

Got it figured out, Mel. I just needed to tick the Show Hidden Files, Folders. Everything should be fine now. Thanks for the help, dude

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:34 pm

jaeger52 wrote:Got it figured out, Mel. I just needed to tick the Show Hidden Files, Folders. Everything should be fine now. Thanks for the help, dude
Ahh. That does help :)

Mel.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 pm

You've designed a new flight in your head and want to try it out when you get home from work. But when you fire up FSX, it suddenly keeps crashing back to the desktop. This crap only happens when you're seriously wanting to get wet with FSX. Well, this and other pay ware prog's have caused me to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7. A huge pain in the ass! You all know what I mean. :twisted: Of course this has never happened to RD :D But even after reinstalling a new Windows 7 OS, FSX and other faves on my NEW '"wiped" computer, the same thing happened. Every time I tried to start FSX, I got an error message that said that the program had stopped running. No further explanation, whatsoever.

Aargh! WTH!!! :twisted:

Well, I did the same thing that most savvy User's would do. I sent an inquiry via Google and came up with the following site which had a prospective solution.

http://fs-mp.com/windows7fix/

The solution to all my FSX start up programs was to install a little, teeny tiny .dll program that only takes a second to download, and another ten seconds to install. Copy the .dll into your main FSX folder where the FSX.exe file is located. Voila! I've had no more crashes out to the desktop!

Ugh! I hate installing anything on my PC that comes third party and unrated, , but I was desperate and willing to try anything to fix the problem. I just wanted to climb into my plane of choice and get up into the air. After I downloaded the prescribed little .dll fix, I created a restore point and then installed the little bugger. What the heck, I just paid a local guru $125 big ones to fix my 'pute. I even bought new virus protection at a whopping $300 for a one year subscription because I'm sick and tired of all the spyware and other crap that self-installs on my computer without my knowledge.

I copied the .dll into my .86 FSX folder and now FSX launches without any problems, albeit a bit slower than previously. In the final analysis, the crashing out to my desktop no longer happens. Kudo's to the developer!

I Just wanted to share that info with you all who may be experiencing similar prob's w/ Windows 7 giving you false starts and crashes.

Best of luck and crappy landings!

Brucie

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that one Bruce, sounds just like the problem i am having, I'll try it out and see if that cures my problem

Mel.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Hope it helps, Mel! :wink:

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 am

Nope, didnt work Bruce, FSX is fine untill I add Acceleration, then the whole thing crashes

Mel.