How I got a BIG increase in frame rates

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Radioman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

How I got a BIG increase in frame rates

Post by Radioman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:39 pm

I have owned a copy of FSX since it first went on sale and over the last few years I have read many internet forums on how to increase frame rates and I have tried many of the techniques described in them. Recently I tried one that gave me almost a threefold increase in frame rates in dense scenery areas. My frames rates were fine at smaller airports but in dense and busy sceneries like Seattle, New York, the LA area, Dallas, etc. I was getting frame rates of 11-14 with Scenery sliders on very dense, AI at 70% for GA and 50% for airlines, no road traffic, low airport vehicle traffic and real world weather. I came across a post in a forum about the fiber frame time fraction setting in FSX.cfg. If you have already messed with this setting then read on - you might have been doing it the wrong way as I had before. Most of the posts I have read about this setting advised increasing it which is what I did at first but it did not help. I read a post on another forum about DEcreasing this number. The default setting is 0.33. I tried decreasing the number to 0.2 and after restarting FSX in a dense and busy scenery area I got a noticeable improvement in frame rates. I did a little more experimentation and finally settled in at fiber frame time fraction set at 0.12. I now have frame rates of 28-30 frames per second in dense and busy areas like the ones I mentioned above with my scenery sliders on very dense, AI (both GA and airline) set at 75%, no road traffic, real world weather. I have read posts about this setting only working on single core processors. This is apparently not true. I have and 8 core intel i7 running at 2.93 GHz per core. It seems that if the fiber frame time fraction is set too high then the processor is trying to feed information to the video card faster that what the card can handle so you get slower frame rates and stutters. Lowering this number allows the video card some breathing room. These settings will of course have different effects on different machines so you mileage may vary but I did see quite a large increase in frames rates in dense sceneries by lowering the fiber frame time fraction. It doesn't have much of an effect in less dense sceneries, probably because there is not as much info being fed to the video card therefore not causing the bottleneck I described earlier.

in your fsx.cfg file, in the [main] section:

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12

There is another setting that may help also. It is the affinity mask setting that is supposed to make fsx use the resources of all the processors in a more efficient manner. The exact setting you use depends on the number of cores you have and your version of windows. Try googling fsx affinity mask and find the setting that apply to your machine.
Last edited by Radioman on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Re: How I got a BIG increase in frame rates

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Hmm,

Why don't I see this value in my FSX config?

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
ProcSpeed=8515
PerfBucket=7
Location=120,104,1160,880,\\.\DISPLAY1
Maximized=2
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
HideInfoText=0
[PANELS]
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:39 pm

You have to add the line yourself. FSX uses the default value of 0.33 unless you add a line to change it. Make sure you use the exact syntax with the underscores

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 am

Bookmarked so I can experiment when I get FSX and a real PC, thanks for the post Radioman, that sounds promising.

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:34 pm

I need all the help I can get for frame rate, but I can not find FSX.cfg file at all. I did a search for it and come up no where. I have some .cfg files, airlines.cfg, cameras.cfg, display.cfg, Elumens.cfg, KioskSettings.cfg, scenery.cfg, suneffect.cfg, and terrain.cfg and that is it. so I am lost.

Edit= Sorry guys found answer after post:)