Its file name is f14da106.zip

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Its file name is f14da106.zip

Post by Azframer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm

This is a Freeware plane I got from http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-17907.html. Its file name is f14da106.zip. After installing I made changes to air file as follows: I made some changes to the air file that makes me want to change rating to a 10. I changed on Flight Dynamics line for Flaps Drag from 184 to 280. Landing Gear Drag from 43 to 50. Spoiler drag from 184 to 280. Flaps Lift from 0.410000 to 0.51000. Rudder Effect On Roll from -187 to -200. I used AirEd AIR file editor 1.0.4.2. I could not get this thing to slow down for landing before and is why I rated it so low before. I can still do High Alpha @ 85 knots.
I am just starting to get the hang of modifying planes, now if I could only learn to modify some cockpits so I can see instruments while flying at night.
I uploaded a Demo flight of it on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iid9N8Bp ... ideo_title

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Re: Its file name is f14da106.zip

Post by Azframer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:33 pm

No comments at all?
Does anyone have any freeware aircraft they would suggest? I would love to find a good B-17, my grandfather was killed stateside in a training accident in one. My grandmother swore my dad would hate planes but that didn't happen. I followed his interest but did not have the money to fly the real thing, so I settled for the simulators. My dad took me up for the 1st time in Cessna 152 and had some stick time but not much. When we took my 2 sisters up we would rent a 172. So any suggestions of planes that you guys like let me know here or a PM. Thanks :D

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:22 am

Azframer wrote:No comments at all?
Does anyone have any freeware aircraft they would suggest? I would love to find a good B-17, my grandfather was killed stateside in a training accident in one. My grandmother swore my dad would hate planes but that didn't happen. I followed his interest but did not have the money to fly the real thing, so I settled for the simulators. My dad took me up for the 1st time in Cessna 152 and had some stick time but not much. When we took my 2 sisters up we would rent a 172. So any suggestions of planes that you guys like let me know here or a PM. Thanks :D
AZZIE! Ahem! Is it okay if I call you Azzie? I'm sorry that no'one's replied to your two posts, yet I know...I know...I know, the joint seems empty right now. But just set still for a while longer and the few, the proud and the brave will come wandering in here like lost sheep any minute now! And when they do, YOU should stand up and welcome them to Surclaro!

You should keep in mind that it occasionally gets slow around here sometimes: topic-speak, that is. I hear that you like tweaking .Air Files. See, that could be one reason why no'one wants to come up and hug and kiss you and ask how your little sister is. But don't freak out! Maybe there's only two or three ".air file wrenches" around here. You can't assume that everyone on board is an .air file wrench, can you? I mean, what if I passed along to you a specialized piece of harpsichord or digereedo music...could you stand up and harp on that for an hour in front of the class?

Please remain patient with us a while AzFrame!. This is Spring Time all over the world!

But especially welcome Surclaro! The sky is our limit and there's no telling what we'll sort of fixes we'll get ourselves into!

PS. Wait'll you get a load of Percy! Can't quite put a finger in the bugger and nor would I want to! But he's just another little colorful character that makes life worthy living in my opinion!

Hang on with us and we'll get you squared away one way or another!

Meanwhile, keep warm and safe!

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 pm

@ jaeger52
Az is fine with me. Trust me I don't mean to offend coming in here announcing I tweaked someones air file, but the thing would not slow down at all. It is a beautiful plane and handles well in the air and on the ground. I don't know how many times I have seen YouTube videos of that plane. I wished I had this guys talent at building a plane, if I did I would have my own B-17 but I am just now feeling good about changing the air file on this one. Thanks for the welcome!
Edit = Friends call me Rick

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Thu May 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey for the longest time I had tried to find out what happened to my grandfathers plane, but it was hard to ask my grandmother about it. So armed with just info from death certificate I went to this forum I found and put some of the info out that I knew about where and when and time with my grandfathers name as well as accident/indecent report link. that did not tell me what happened but just listed how many happened in time period. Within less than one hour I found out so much. This is of the thread I posted and these guys are awesome:

http://forum.armyairforces.com/333rd-CCTS-m203410.aspx

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow Az, that's really cool! =D>

I would be very interested to know the final, conclusive info about your grandfather; if you're willing to share. :wink:
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by mel wilson » Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Azframer,

Until I get my new rig up and running, I cant really check the F14 out, maybe it's just a case of getting to grips with this particular bird, I cant see the author publishing this file with a faulty air file.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 pm

mel wilson wrote:Azframer,

Until I get my new rig up and running, I cant really check the F14 out, maybe it's just a case of getting to grips with this particular bird, I cant see the author publishing this file with a faulty air file.

Mel.
I would not really say that it was a faulty air file because the plane flies extremely well in every way, it just did not slow down at all really on my tries with it. If you had been coming in at high speed (500knots)and deployed spoiler i found that I had to circle the field with spoiler before I could get slow enough to even lower the gear. I just felt that adding the extra drag to spoiler and other items seemed to be more realistic. I was not implying that I am a master at any of this at all nor am I trying to say anything about this author of this file. As far as I am concerned this guy is a god when it comes to putting this plane together, I could have never done this for sure.
Rick

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Fri May 13, 2011 9:26 pm

jaeger52 wrote:Wow Az, that's really cool! =D>

I would be very interested to know the final, conclusive info about your grandfather; if you're willing to share. :wink:
Well at this time I am waiting on the 32 page report and 10 photos to come in. I found out that the tail number was 245144 and the plane was a B17F-35-BO.Plane number was 42-5144. One of the guys is searching for a photo with plane intact and I hope he finds one. I found an artist illustration of plane 42-5145 name The Gremlin. Other than that searching and waiting. thanks
Rick

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

If you don't have Steve Hinson's F-14 Tomcat, you should find it and get the latest revision version downloaded and flying. Guaranteed Tomcat heaven. Search and be sure to have RD's afterburners installed and get all the paints. Steve passed away several years ago and is sorely missed, there's a custom re-paint from RD in his honour. Be sure to turn up the volume, especially if you have subs, the sound is the real deal, with all the thunderous roar and growl you'd expect from this wicked aircraft. Oh yeah, and if you get the right version, there's a beautiful sonic boom effect at mach. 1.

Oh, and it flies like it should, from what I understand. She's a beauty all the way, the team that put it all together were the real deal too, I seem to remember even experienced military aviators doing the flight dynamics, etc. One of my favourites to rocket around the skies in.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Aaahh, those were fun days, formation flying in the Hinson F14.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Tue May 17, 2011 4:01 am

Yeah, those were fun, pull your hair out fun days.

If you look, you will find that I have 6 or 7 paints for the F14D Tomcat that I did with my old friend Steve Hinson. And by all means, get my AFTERBURNERS for it.

As for the new version by Dino Cattaneo, I've been able to use my AB's instead of his, cough-cough, cartoonish flame outs.

Something that might interest you Rick. You could get the Hinson F14D, and swap .air files between the two and see how it flies. Just an idea.

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "