Speed brake question

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

Radioman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Speed brake question

Post by Radioman » Wed May 11, 2011 7:12 pm

What do I have to edit to make the speedbrake on an aircraft slow it down only without making it drop out of the sky like a rock. On some of my add on aircraft the speedbrake does what it is supposed to - it slows the aircraft down. On others it slows it down and also makes the rate of descent increase about threefold. How can I make it so that the speedbrake does not affect lift? Is this something that is in the airfile and if so where can I get software that will edit the airfile? Or is there a line that I can add to the aircraft.cfg file?

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Re: Speed brake question

Post by harkonnen » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

You should be able to find a freewae version of 'AIRed'. It allows you to go in and edit .AIR files and save the changes.
Assuming there's no entry for spoiler effectiveness in the aircraft .cfg file, I would imagine there's an entry somewhere in that .AIR file. I'll pop in and have a look a little later.

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Thu May 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Yea I used AirEd AIR file editor 1.0.4.2 on my mods I did. I would check the drag on all things including flaps and gear as well. Check here I made mods to this plane to add drag because it would not slow down:
http://forums.surclaro.com/topic19553.html

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Thu May 19, 2011 4:04 pm

I tried the payware program airwrench. It has sliders to adjust the lift and drag of the spoiler. When I opened the airfile with airwrench I noticed that the lift was set to a very negative setting and the drag was set very low. I set the lift at neutral and the drag higher to make it act like more like a speedbrake and less like a spoiler. Then a new problem arose. It seems that airwrench made numerous other changes that I did not ask it to in both the airfile and the aircraft.cfg file and now the flight dynamics of the plane are all screwed up. For example as soon as I release the brakes the plane jumps forward and accelerates to a taxi speed of about 40 knots even with the throttle at idle. WTF?????? Why did it change numerous parameters that I did not ask it to change? I had to go back to the original aircraft.cfg file and the original airfile so the plane would fly correctly. I will just have to live with the sudden loss of lift when I slow the plane down during descent.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 pm

The version of airED that I scooped lets you open up the .AIR files and explore and change most everything, and you get to save the changes. I haven't even had a look at a basic .cfg file to see where there might be spoiler effectiveness, etc. entries. I'm super-busy lately, but I'll look into it and see if I can even make suggestions to help with .cfg or .AIR files stuff. I'm guessing most times too. Trial and error rules my FS tweaking world, I just hack away 'til it works, or at least works better. What's the expression - If it ain't broke - get a bigger hammer? :?

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Thu May 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Sat May 21, 2011 1:52 pm

I found a very good freeware airfile editor called Aircraft Airfile Manager right here on this website. As you click on each item in the airfile it even gives an explanation and tells you which are no longer relevant in FSX. Unlike Air Wrench it only changes what I change and not various other settings when saving the file. I like the user interface much better than AirEd. You guys should check it out. It did the trick for me with the spoilers. I was able to change the negative lift values and make them zero and increase the drag so they act more like a speed brake and less like a spoiler. That is one area where microsoft goofed when making FSX. There is no "activate speedbrake" command, only one for spoilers.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks for the link, I've got to get that one then. Is airbrake and speedbrake and spoilers all the same thing? :?

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Sat May 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Good luck with your new toy, Hark!

Hats off for Radioman for further empowering our in-house aircraft designer, Harkonnen! You both rock!
military2_radioman.jpg
Bruce aka Jaeg-

Project Developer:
- Around The World Search / Madeleine McCann

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 am

Quote: "Re: Speed brake question
Postby harkonnen » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm
Thanks for the link, I've got to get that one then. Is airbrake and speedbrake and spoilers all the same thing? :? "

The spoilers on top of the wings of jetliners can open slightly in flight so as to increase drag and slow the plane down. Only on landing when the mains touch down do they open fully to break the airflow over the top of the wing and "spoil" the lift allowing the wheels their full traction. Unfortunately FSX does not make the distinction between the two. It is either all or none. I wanted to be able to slow large aircraft down to below 250 knots before descending through 10,000 feet. On some of them the speed brakes would act like spoilers and the plane would drop like a rock until the speed brakes were retracted and the rate of descent would return to where it was. I changed the lift and drag settings in the airfile so I get the same effect as a jetliners should be in the real world, they open slightly to slow the plane down without killing lift.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Most excellent, it's a riot to tweak eh? (Especially when you finally get it right. :wink: )

I do use the spoilers on airliners every so often on approach - just tap 'em on and off quickly for the desired effect, but it's a pretty mickey mouse method.

Azframer
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Azframer » Fri May 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Radioman wrote:Quote: "Re: Speed brake question
Unfortunately FSX does not make the distinction between the two. It is either all or none. I wanted to be able to slow large aircraft down to below 250 knots before descending through 10,000 feet. On some of them the speed brakes would act like spoilers and the plane would drop like a rock until the speed brakes were retracted and the rate of descent would return to where it was. I changed the lift and drag settings in the airfile so I get the same effect as a jetliners should be in the real world, they open slightly to slow the plane down without killing lift.
I have a Saitek X52 and assigned spoilers to my slider and can deploy in rather small increments.