FAILURES

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

FAILURES

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm having problems with getting FSX "Failures" to behave the way I want it to. I would like to know if you guy's have ever mastered this component of FSX?

My problem is that I can't set up a cascade of "failures" to occur one after another that would eventually lead up to a major cockpit crisis.

In the FAILURES drop down menu, you have two options: 1) Single Component Failures. 2) Random Component Failures.

I have discovered that, by selecting "SINGLE COMPONENT FAILURES" will NOT allow me to create a cascade of failures, occuring one after another. "Only one singular failure incident is allowed!"

Okay, so I figured that I could then try to set up a cascade of failures by selecting RANDOM COMPONENT FAILURES and then try to edit the various categories: Instruments, Systems, Radios, Engines, Controls, and set up failures of my own choosing. But even under this selection, I can only enter one, singluar failure event. When I ty to enter more events, to create a cascade of failures, I keep getting a pop up message tellng me that I have to

This approach to seeting a progression of component failures during any given flight still doesn't work. Under

The end result (for me, anyway), seems to be that I cannnot customize failure events of my own choosing and at what time during any given flight that events will occur.

MY BOTTOM LINE ON THIS TOPIC: If I am experiencing difficulties with this FSX component, I suspect that other FSX aviators might also experiencing the same thing. I'd like to know your experiences (if any) in figuring out the strengths and weaknesses in this FSX utility: Am I doing something wrong in the FAILURES tab? Can we get it mastered and slap up a STICKY to help other guys who might also be trying to create thier own cool flight scenarios?

Anyone have the energy left to collaborate with me on this one?

Jaeg-

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: FAILURES

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:04 pm

I think this sounds like the same problem I had when I devised a flight plan for The search for Maddie, it seems that the problems I encountered in FS9 seems to have been migrated over to FSX, nothing I did would allow what I wanted to happen in the actual flight, however I will go in Bruce and see what I can find for you.

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:34 pm

TX Mel,

RD was the real mastermind behind creating and disbursing the individual "Maddie Flights". Some of them had a real "WOW! factor. But I cant really recall any multiple "failures" occurring: it was a long time ago, and it was completely out of my bounds at the time. But, it's a good place to start as any, me thinks.

Any advice here, RD?

Are there any other pilots willing to impart any wisdom on how to create a Cascade of FAILURE EVENTS IN FSX?

Jaeg-

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Dont hold your breath for any other pilots Bruce... methinks there are only four of us left on this Forum, and that does not include the Boss, he's not been in since August .... things have changed for the worse while you were gone.

Mel.

rd

Post by rd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:17 am

I tried to get aircraft/cockpit failures to work. Garry at Lewisaire had the works on it. Problem is, he had a stroke before I could get the ins and outs of creating them. I fly FSX as much as I do FS9, quite a bit. But haven't even contemplated creating failures in FSX. If memory is right, I think I remember seeing where someone had a software/program to create cockpit failures. It is late now, so I will see if I can find it, or a link to the info.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:57 pm

TX, RD

I've been Googling and searching but to no avial in the freeware department. If I only had the knowledge (which I definitely don't #-o , I would design the *beep* thing myself!

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about Garry's misfortune. [-o<

Is he totally out of commission? What's the *beep*? What about LewisAire?

B-

johnman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by johnman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Guys,

I know that You are looking for freeware or a program - maybe this might save You some agravation and its fairly inexpensive :D

Welcome to 'In Flight Emergencies' for use with FSX.

Introduction

More than ever, enthusiasts strive to make their digital experience as real as possible. With the popularity of cockpit building, the flying experience has moved to the living room, the workshop, or the garage.

Our program, 'In Flight Emergencies for FSX' adds even more to the realism. You could fumble through key sequences to turn on a vacuum, pitot, or brake failure; but how real is that... you know what’s coming, and have likely made all the preparations prior to even hitting the key sequence. With 'In Flight Emergencies' you won't know what’s coming until it actually happens.

Once started, you can select various events from vacuum failure to engine fires, or, if you prefer, simply click on the 'Timed Event' checkbox to have the program select an event at random. Events of any type could occur at times ranging from 2 to 30 minutes into your flight.

Proper control inputs will be required to correct the problems. Failures supplied with FSX are either timed, or ‘On – Off’ events where-as failures provided by our program will respond to control inputs. In the event of an engine fire for example, you no longer have to let your 172 burn. Formerly, fire suppression systems in larger aircraft were the only way to put them out. Now, inputs such as cutting the fuel flow to the engine will extinguish the fire.

Just like a real world pilot you have to be observant. Pay attention to your gauges to observe that vacuum failure when it happens, scan outside the aircraft to see if that engine fire has occurred, on approach be sure that the gear has come down, or once you have landed, be ready for various brake failures.

The program will work with Standard as well as the majority of add-on aircraft.

Using the program
Once started, users can simply click on any one of the scenario/emergency buttons to start an event. Buttons will toggle events on and off and the proper control inputs are required to correct the problem. (Proper glide speed and inputs are required before you can attempt a re-star. Be careful though, glide speeds for the Mooney Bravo vary depending on gross weight (Glide speeds for add-on aircraft are entered on the opening screen prior to your flight)). Alternatively, landing at the closest airport and taxiing to the fuelling area will repair your aircraft.

Checking the emergency response checkbox at the bottom of the opening screen will result in a checklist popping up when an incident occurs. These checklists are aircraft specific, regardless of the aircraft you are flying.

The program will operate in ‘Always on top” mode, but to make it ‘In Flight Friendly’, an option has been provided to vary the opacity from 10 to 100%, or by checking the ‘minimize to system tray’ selection it will of course auto minimize to the tray with any selection.

In the second picture, opacity has been set to 41% which provides a fairly good view of the scenery behind. Set the timer function and minimize it to the system tray, or leave it on top partially transparent…. The choice is yours.

Timed events
By clicking the timed event checkbox, the program will pick an event at a random time. Simply minimize the In Flight Emergencies program and fly your aircraft. By the time the designated time elapses you may have forgotten that an event has been set. Let it take you completely by surprise. Just like the real thing, you will be required to scan your aircraft and maintain situational awareness to be ready for whatever is going to occur. Once you have taken measures to correct the problem, it may correct itself on its own; alternatively it can be ‘shut off’ by clicking the appropriate button, or landing at the closest airport and taxiing to the fuelling area.

Emergency Preparedness Pop-Ups
Emergency preparedness pop-ups are available to assist. With the checkbox selected, an emergency checklist will appear based on the aircraft you are flying. Many have been completed and are included in the emergencies folder. If not completed, the program will recognize that a checklist is required and will prompt you to add one for the aircraft you are flying. This works for standard FSX aircraft, as well as add- on.
The checklists are viewed from within the 'In Flight Emergencies for FSX' program and cannot be edited/altered from the viewing screen. Individual files can be edited from the Emergencies folder using Notepad, or any other .txt editor.

Installation
Simply run Setup.exe to install the program.
Emergency response checklists must be located in your FSX folder. To install them, unzip the Emergency response file to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Emergencies. When you are done, the emergencies folder will contain four folders and a copy of this document.

Please Note: The emergency response checklists must be located as indicated above. If you have installed FSX anywhere other than the standard location, you will have to create a file path to the files as indicated. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Emergencies)

The program is designed to connect to FSX automatically. If FSX is not running, an error message will be received. Simply start FSX prior to starting In Flight emergencies.

Author’s Notes
This program uses checklist information found in various locations which are added for Flight Simulation purposes only. If you have any comments and/or suggestions, feel free to contact us through our web page.

Also available, is our ATC Communications program.
ATC Communications is a program developed to ease communications while flying your simulator. Rather than fumbling through key strokes, simply say "ATC" into your microphone to have the window open. Make your selections by speaking the number into the microphone.
Make all of your communications voice activated (including opening and closing your ATC Window

Proceeds from both programs will go to completion of Living Sky Aerobatic’s Acroduster bi-plane. If you are an active air show enthusiast, and I am performing at an air show near you, please stop by to say hello.

Here's the Url to get the Program

http://www.fspilotshop.com/living-sky-f ... 5f0df935f6

Just thought this might help :^o =D> #-o

Johnman

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm

That's a nice little gem Johnman

Mel.

rd

Post by rd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:52 am

That isn't the one I was thinking of, but I do know about it. Since it is payware, I didn't say anything about it. Like I said, there is a free one out there. Can't say that it is as good as the payware, but you need to decide on how "REALISTIC" you want it to be.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "