new acft installtion only show "ghost aircraft"

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, skipperdan

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

new acft installtion only show "ghost aircraft"

Post by budo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Downloaded and installed P-38 which was advertised as FS2004 however the files said FSX. Installed in Microsoft Games (x86) FSX as administrator. Opened FSX and acft showed up in selection box. When selected to fly I only get a ghostly outline as shown below. Instrument panel shows fine and aircraft operated OK. Tried various views and various screen resoutions - nothing cured problem.
Using Windows 7 64 bit. Did try to install in FS2004 but did not install there.
Here's shot
Attachments
P-38 (1).jpg

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: new acft installtion only show "ghost aircraft"

Post by mel wilson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 am

I doubt very much that this was even intended for FSX, I would put this down to experience....

Mel.
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:33 am

This is for FS9/FS2004. Since you left out the link or title of the download, nobody can investigate it.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:09 pm

RD and Mel, It is a payware download. I installed it in both FSX and FS9 but same problem in both.
I put in a service ticket to FlightSim Developers explaining the problem and the response I got was "sounds like your display setting is set to Direct X 9" They suggest I use Direct X 10. Checking my system I am using Direct X 11.
Have since written 3 other Emails to them and not one has been answered even tho they said "Let us know if your require further assistance".
As was indicated I guess I have to chalk it up to experience. I would really like to find out the problem.
Budo

johnman
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by johnman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Budo,

Before You give up completely - I had this problem in Fsx - some textures looked like they were on the wrong side of the Polygon ( like inside out ) - and some just came up Black ! 8O :roll:

First - do You have both updates to Fsx ?? - since I have done Update 1 and update 2 - I have not had this problem !! =D> #-o

Also - not so much to do with the texture problem - but keep Your Hard drive Defragged - even when it says its not necessary !! - Keep Your Caches cleand out !! - and if Fsx starts to do Wierd things and acting totally GOOFY - go in and wipe out Your Fsx.cfg file - making a BACKUP first . I can let you know where it is if You need ! - Fsx will ReWrite it ! 8) :lol:

IMPORTANT - Keep HavvinFUN - Look at the Bright side - Who do You know - that has gone out and Paid for a Lockheed LIghtning - that is Invisible - and can Fly around any where in the World - and not Be Seen ?? :roll: :wink:

Get back with us - who knows - somebody will think of something !! :mrgreen:

Johnman

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Johnman
Thanks for helping.
Tried to update FSX with download but it told me since I already had the Accereration Pack I didn't need the update.
Did delete the config.file and FSX created a new one but same problem,
Defrag system weekly.
Caches all cleared.
“Who do You know - that has gone out and Paid for a Lockheed LIghtning - that is Invisible - and can Fly around any where in the World
“ If we had one of those during WW2 we would have really beat their asses more than we did.
Don't know what else to do now other than try a reinstall of the whole program
Thanks, budo

johnman

Post by johnman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:38 am

Hey Budo,

I'm am ever the optimist - Have You tried adjusting Your Video Card Settings - there should be a Video Card Control Panel - usually in Your Windows Control Panel or Your Desktop Settings.

Maybe a reinstall will work - if You do - Do an uninstall first - Then when You reinstall - do the two upgrades first and check it out before going into Acceleration ?? - the problem could be with Acceleration ?? - better to do it now before You get too much installed !

When I reinstalled My Operating System ( Windows XP ) - I stayed with DX 9 - I tried upgrading to DX 10 in the old system - and it gave Me nothing but trouble - including - all black textures and invisible textures - and You can't revert back to DX 9 - This is what I was working on when I inadvertantly wiped Windows !! A Blessing in disguise ?? - Now I'm back with DX 9 and Grinn'in !! 8) :roll:

Half the fun of FSX is making it work - When it works its incredible - but its such a pain in the backside to keep it working !! #-o

Johnman

rd

Post by rd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Let's stop with updating everything, before everything goes "BOOM". If you have Acceleration, that is it, that IS the top dog for FSX. For now, do not touch FSX. Don't do a re-install, at least not now.

Budo, I'll try to work this with you. But I need you to answer a few questions (although I may have missed the answers already):

1. Have you tried getting a new download?? If not, remove/uninstall the original and all files. Then re-download the P-38 and try again.

2. Are you trying to fly this in both FSX and FS9?

3. Did you run "dxdiag" in both 32Bit and 64Bit?? Make sure both show DirectX 11.

4. Did you use their installer to install it??

I'm taking a break from doing a re-paint, so I can help you get this up and going.

RD
RD

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:49 pm

RD thanks for your interest in helping. My apologies for taking so long to respond. Had a Christmas Party where my son lives and it took most of the day.
Will answer you questions as best as I can tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Budo

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Budo, I'll try to work this with you. But I need you to answer a few questions (although I may have missed the answers already):
Have you tried getting a new download?? If not, remove/uninstall the original and all files. Then re-download the P-38 and try again.
Yes Have downloaded again and uninstalled first one and installed 2nd download
2. Are you trying to fly this in both FSX and FS9?
No only FSX. Download indicates FSX only
3. Did you run "dxdiag" in both 32Bit and 64Bit?? Make sure both show DirectX 11.
Did run this with 64Bit and it indicated DirectX 11. Couldn't figure out how to run the 32Bit
4. Did you use their installer to install it??
Yes their default path to install is Programfiles(x86)\MicrosoftGames\MicrosoftFlightSimulatorX\. That's where I installed it
Budo

Kenml
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Kenml » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Budo, Do you have "Preview DirectX10" checked on in the FSX settings display if so unchek it and bring up the plane again. If it shows correctly then you have a portover legacy problem for FS9 when using DX10 in FSX. If you want to use DX10 there is a payware program published by Flight Sim Tools called AddonConverterX. It really works. at least id did for me.

rd

Post by rd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Good call Kenml, I was going to go there next as a possible issue.

RD
RD

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Do you have "Preview DirectX10" checked on in the FSX settings display ?
Hate to admit that I do not know how to get to this from "settings" It does not show up .
Budo

Kenml
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Kenml » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Fire up FSX. On the top menu bar click on "Options"this will give you a drop box. you will see "settings" on the bottom of the list, Clock on it and it will open another list. Click on "Display". Thiis will bring up a form . Click on the "Graphics" tab and make sure Global texture resolution in on Very high ( just move the slider to the extreme right). Just below the globla texture slider you will see a check boxes. One of them is Preview DirectX10. Uncheck it if it's checked.
If the global slider was not full right that may have been your problem.

Let us know what you find :)

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Kenmi
Followed your directions and below is the result. There no box with Preview DirectX10.
Only "Lens Flare"
"Light Bloom"
"Advanced animations"
Below that section there is Another box saying
"Informational text
"continuous"
"single line"
Absolutely nothing about DirectX10
Obviously something is missing :roll:
Budo

Kenml
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Kenml » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Some pictures.
Main FSX screen
FSX Options.jpg
settings.jpg
If you want to talk I can call anywhere in the states toll free. Just let me know. kenmlatcomcast.net replace at with an @

Cheers,
Ken

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Still looking for thoughts on this one. Ideas anybody ?
Budo

Kenml
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Kenml » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:05 am

budo wrote:Still looking for thoughts on this one. Ideas anybody ?
Budo
Was curious; was youro DX10 preview checked and all?

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 am

Hey Budo,

There is definatly something weird going on ??

Just to see what it says - start a flight ( Flynow ) - tap Your ALT key to bring up the Menu - go to Help > About - and make sure it says Acceleration !! - just to make sure all Your Service Packs are up to date !!

If it does NOT - Go to Your Control Panel > Add Remove Programs - and See if Accelleration has been installed ?? - If it is NOT - I guess We Know what You have to do !! :D

Remember - When this is Finally Fixed - We can rember How Much FUN We had Fixing it !! :lol: :lol:

Johnman

rd

Post by rd » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 am

If you have FSX Gold or Deluxe, and installed everything, Acceleration is automatically installed. As well, no updates are needed.

Budo, what did you find on your FSX DirectX10 box??? Did you find it, and was it checked/unchecked??

RD
RD

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:25 pm

:? Hi guys, As I indicated there is no DirectX box shown in this step"
On the top menu bar click on "Options"this will give you a drop box. you will see "settings" on the bottom of the list, Clock on it and it will open another list. Click on "Display". This will bring up a form . Click on the "Graphics" tab and make sure Global texture resolution in on Very high ( just move the slider to the extreme right). Just below the globla texture slider you will see a check boxes. One of them is Preview DirectX10. Uncheck it if it's checked
."
With FSX running went in "Help" and it did not show "Acceleration". Then closed down FSX, opened control panel to add or remove programs and it did show Acceleraton as being installed. Go figure huh ? Budo :?

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello Budo,

Whats missing is - Service Pack 2 - or a bad DownLoad ?? -Service Pack 2 is installed as part of the installation process - and before - Accelleration - or - What Ever it doesn't really matter - Some thing is not installed Properly ! - I don't think that there is any Setting - or Configuration Entry - that will make Your DX10 Preview Box appear or disappear - if Your installation is correct - and properly updated - The DX10 Preview box Will be there !! - What - Why - and Yahbut - Is not going to Help - Unless Someone has an actual solution - You will most likely end up re Installing - or - Putting Your P 38 in the hanger and checking out some free downloads and see if they do the same thing ??

This is why I wanted to check out Your About Window - Just to insure that the install process went the way it was supposed to - and it is certainly Not a difficult thing to check !

So - Scratching an invisible P38 - Still leaves a lot to enjoy in FSX - Have Fun - Santa Clause IS Comming !! :lol:

Johnman

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Hey Budo,

Sorry - Some how I didn't read Your Last Post - If Your " About " Window didn't say Accelleration - then it is not installed - and neither is Service Pack 2 ! - Double check Your Windows Control Panel > Add Remove Programs - and see if it shows Accelleration or Service Pack 2 installed - If it does - Remove them - or It !

What I woould do Now is Go online and download Sp1 and Sp2 and install them as per instructions - Check and see if You have Your DX10 Preview Box - and check Your About Window and see if it says Sp2 !! If all went the way it should - Then Your Problem with the Textures Should be Solved - This is one of the things Sp2 does ! - Now would be the time to install Accelleration if You desire ! Being sure to check and ensure that it installed Properly !

I personally am not a big fan of Accelleration - I think it adds a lot of not necessarily neccessary extras to an all ready over loaded FSX - Unless You really want the benifits of Accelleration - Go ahead and run the Program without it - to see how You like it - Then if You want - add Accelleration !

As Drastic and Distastefull as the above sounds - I Hope it Solves Your Problem - At least its not a Full Install - so You should not loose any data !!

Besides - IT REALLY was fun - Wasn't IT ! :lol:

Johnman

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Two things: Just installed another aircraft in FSX and it appears exactly as it should - no problems.
Also since I have DX11 would that be the reason that "Preview Direct X10" is not showing up in my FSX settings display ? Maybe that would not make any difference. ?
You guys have really been great in trying to help me with this. Appreciate it.
Budo

Kenml
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Kenml » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Budo, I have to ask. Those screen pictures in the post above. Were you able to go there?

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Kenml wrote:Budo, I have to ask. Those screen pictures in the post above. Were you able to go there?
Yes Kenmi that's exactly the screen I got except I did not have the 4th box (lower) on the right side of the screen showing DirectX10.

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey Budo,

I know - Its sort of hit and miss - Like what kind of texture files they use to set up the textures - there are several differnt file types - FSX without the upgrades - does not display them all correctly - which seems to be where You are at .

However - No DX10 preview check box in Your Settings/Display Window - No Accelleration or Sp2 in Your About Window - the fact that You cannot display textures correctly - and No Sp2 or Acceleration in Your Windows Control Panel > Add Remove Programs Window - Tells Us that You need to Upgrade - and if You desire install Accelleration . - which is Not really a big deal - Your FSX is not completly installed - So it cannot work properly . #-o

I know You have the installation disk - but isn't that how We got here ?? - Thats why I say - go online and download and install the Servic Packs Seperatly - Just Google them - that way YOU know exactly where YOU are at !! - and can check the process Step by step ! - at this stage You will be able to display textures properly - Check Your P38 - Then install Accelleration !

Please understand that I am NOT saying Re-Install FSX - I'm saying - Upgrade the installation That You have !! - and if this does nothing to fix the problem - You have done nothing to damage Your Installation !!
Also If You have DX9 - there would be no DX10 preview check box - With DX11 there should be !
- And when You do get upgraded - and You do have a DX10 check box - make sure it is un checked ! - or - atleast try it both ways !

I think This'll Work !! :mrgreen: 8) :lol:

Johnman

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Johnman
Re: your suggestions do I need to uninstall Acceleration before I install SP 1 & 2 ?
Budo

johnman

Post by johnman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm

Hey Budo,

If either Sp2 or Acceleration are in Your Add/Remove Programs page then UnInstall them - If they are NOT - then they are not installed - and do NOT need to be UnInstalled.

Looking forward to hearing back from You !!

Johnman

budo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by budo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03 pm

johnman wrote:Hey Budo,

If either Sp2 or Acceleration are in Your Add/Remove Programs page then UnInstall them - If they are NOT - then they are not installed - and do NOT need to be UnInstalled.

Looking forward to hearing back from You !!

Johnman
Will do. Will do this tonight and get back tomorrow.
Thanks