Can I Make Effects Without An SDK?

Discuss and share how to create, install, mod, etc... All about special flight simulator effects.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, groundsquirrel

SU37Berkut
SurClaro senior forum member

Can I Make Effects Without An SDK?

Post by SU37Berkut » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:44 pm

Dear Forum Members,

Is it possible to create effects without an SDK? (I mean start from scratch)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
SU37Berkut

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:08 pm

Well, I can't see the point of undertaking effects creation without reading the SDK's for effects. Its just a document telling you what you need to know to create effects isn't it? That's why they're there...the more knowledge you have, including the lists of specifics and examples often found in the SDK's will help you large. The next step after you have a little knowledge under your belt is to grab an already done effect that you like and start playing with that text file...and maybe even switching or altering textures that go along with it. They're all there in your FS 'effects' folder. Be warned...once you start playing with this stuff you may become enthralled with the possibilities, and after a wee bit of success, you'll be going back to the SDK's because they tell you what you need to know! :wink: I'd be all over effects alteration and creation, but I don't have time, I do other stuff for flightsim...and I go back to the SDK's for reference all the time. That's why they're there. 8O :)

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

well...

Post by groundsquirrel » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:20 am

The SDK's are simply the rules and format requirements for the various aspects of FS. If you're into reverse engineering or tweaking you can always open up the various files with the appropriate editor or viewer and see how they are put together.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

rd

Post by rd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:10 am

Not knowing what mental powers you have, yes, you can make effects without the SDK's.

I never looked at an SDK untill FSX. For FS9, I took a smoke effect, renamed it, then started changing this and that to see what would happen. Did the same for afterburners. Opened 2-3 up, renamed them, and started changing numbers. I have some spectacular effects, but most are unrealistic as heck.

Depending on your gray matter, it's knowing why something changed, and not how. The how is easy. YOU CHANGED A NUMBER. The WHY part, is doing it again and again, and understanding what your seeing happen, and WHY.

It will NOT be easy, and WILL be very time consuming. If you don't get it, or get over frustrated with it to quit, then get and read the SDK's.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

SU37Berkut

Post by SU37Berkut » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Thank you all. I'm trying just what Harkonnen suggested with an afterburner effect, I'm trying to edit it so that it has sparks instead of just a transparent cone of colour.
Like rd said,
Depending on your gray matter, it's knowing why something changed, and not how. The how is easy. YOU CHANGED A NUMBER. The WHY part, is doing it again and again, and understanding what your seeing happen, and WHY.
I'll give you all a copy if I ever finish.
Thanks for all your help.
SU37Berkut
24.6 Hours logged so far...

rd

Post by rd » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:20 am

Good to hear.

If you get what your after, then post up a shot of it. Or if something really cool happens, post up a pic, with what you did to get it.

I dig working with the effects because they add something to the sim. Alot of people shy away from it, because they don't understand it. Or it is too complicated. Either way, I love effects.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

SU37Berkut

Post by SU37Berkut » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:44 pm

Okay, I'll do that RD.

I like the effects too. Let somebody else do the plane, I like the effects.

Have a nice day,
24.6 Hours logged so far...

SU37Berkut

Post by SU37Berkut » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Alright,

Here are some before and afters of what I've done so far:
Attachments
Afterburner AfterII.jpg
after
Afterburner AfterII.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 1252 times