Where to put 'fx_smoke_w' effect???

Discuss and share how to create, install, mod, etc... All about special flight simulator effects.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, groundsquirrel

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Where to put 'fx_smoke_w' effect???

Post by harkonnen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:01 am

Hi all. HELP! Why are the three coordinates so messed up when you try to place a smoke effect in the [SMOKESYSTEM] section?
I'm having trouble with the lights going off for no good reason, so I switched my 'fx_smoke_w' effect to the [SMOKESYSTEM] section from the [LIGHTS] section. The coordinates that are perfect for the lights section are buggered in the smokesystem section. What the heck??!! The smoke shows upon pressing the 'I' key, but it never comes out where it's supposed to! This has been killing me for hours now. I tried messing around with the order of the three coordinate parameters...longtitudinal, lateral and vertical, but haven't hit the right combo yet within the smokesystem section. What a mess.

Another effects question as well, for those that might know...How in the heck do the lights go OUT??!!

The reason I'm putting lights effects in the smokesystem section is because after a while the lights just go out on me...never run into that before - ever. I can press the 'L' key for days and they won't come back on. I'm wondering if that's a generator/electrical bus problem within the .cfg. Lots more experimenting to do, but I'm going crazy with effects and placement that won't cooperate. Argh! :evil:

ANY insight to my questions above would be greatly appreciated...I'm getting all stumped here so far. :?

groundsquirrel
Forum Moderator - Master member

may have...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:11 am

The lights going out may have to do with the particular light effect you are calling up. Does this occur when using a default aircraft? As to smoke placement, I have AircraftContainerManager and can straighten out things in a jiffy, but will need the flyable/installable model. Also, check your messages.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:54 am

Hiya G.S...nope, just on the one aircraft I'm working on. I'm sure I'm making things harder by having imported and messed with info from three different .cfg files.
Seems so far that the lights go out when the generator runs out of power...sort of thing. I noticed the 'generator' switch was off on the panel, and when I flicked it on, the lights, including this neat smoke effect in the lights section, came back on. Now I have to figure out why the generator switch is off. I'm going to have to have a generator switch on the panel? Time to go play around some more and hope for the best..standard operating procedure around my lair.

Thank you so much G.S, I may yet have to send you off this file so you can have a look. Got a few more things to look at though.... if not to fix, at least so I know where I am in this mess. I've been beta testing for two days almost steady now, and I'm easily confused now.

Anyway, if I can get the lights to stay on, I can stay away from the [SMOKESYSTEM].

groundsquirrel

dont forget...

Post by groundsquirrel » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 am

Dont forget that many things are set by the .air file with respect to default state........you do have AirEd, dont you?
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 am

Yup, and had a quick look through it for anything on this.
Hang on though, now my effects are showing fine for the first part of the flight, and then they disappear and reappear a hundred feet or so above their proper spot. Same thing with default or custom effects it seems....my smokestack smoke goes goofy after a little while flying. May be a corruption somewhere with my fS9....just what I need. Still flying and scrabbling around in the aircraft .cfg like a madman, trying to figure this all out.
I might be in store for a re-install of FS9. Or is this a case where the FS9 .cfg deletion might be a fix?
Hey, I suppose I had better double check these effects with some default aircraft though, eh..and be sure it's only my custum, messed up plane that's...messed up. Going around in big ol' circles now. Zoom zoom.
Woooooooooo ...been at this too long.... *

rd

Post by rd » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:20 am

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 am

You've been saving that one smartypants!

Hey, I'll bet you get loopy and forgetful too after a day or so immersed in the text editing, going in and out of FS 30 million times to see what havoc your changes have wrought. (Or not. :roll: )

Added a few test lights (strobes) and noticed that normal light effects stay on fine, and don't misplace. So far it seems that just smoke-based effects, disappear from their proper spot on the plane, then reappear 100 or so feet above the aircraft, but at the same longtitudinal and lateral coordinates. And I noticed that this only seems to happen when I go lower to the ground. How the heck should I know what's happening? Tried the Extra 300 as it has the 'fx_smoke_w' as a default smoke effect, and it seemed okay for a short flight. Will have to place the smoke effect within the [LIGHTS] section on another default and another add-on aircraft to see if I get the low-alt effect displacement.
This is going to be harder than I thought.
This is going to take a while.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :?