No Afterburners....

Discuss and share how to create, install, mod, etc... All about special flight simulator effects.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, groundsquirrel

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

No Afterburners....

Post by rd » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:19 am

I've got a tough one, that even I may need help on.

I've been trying to help one person get the A/B's going. He said that they don't show up.

His light section is fine, and his textures are in the right place. As well, the Lights .cfg is as it is supposed to be. The effects, are also in the right place.

So far, we cannot get them to work as of right now. I have him trying something else, to see if they work or not.

Effects are not that hard to install, run, or trouble shoot. But this one is really bothering me.

If you have a couple ideas, even a simple or what you might think be stupid, by all means, post it up.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:47 am

I'm assuming these are enabled with the old 'invisible .XML gauge in a folder within the Main FS9 'Gauges' folder' trick? If so, are all the details just right, including the proper naming, syntax and numbering of the gauge in the aircraft's 'Panel' .CFG file? Is the appropriate corresponding folder in the 'Gauges' folder in FS9? (Properly named of course.)

No worries on syntax or spelling within the [LIGHTS] section?
You said the texture is placed properly...where, within FS9's main 'Effects' 'Texture' sub-folder?
The effect file itself is in FS9's 'Effects' folder of course...but was it ever opened by your friend? Even if it wasn't edited it might not have re-saved as a '.FX' file, I've had mine close back up in a different format after opening 'em up. (D'oh! :roll: ) Anyway, just make sure the effect file is still named just right and is an actual .FX file.

Just random thoughts RD, I'm assuming a small detail's been overlooked.
If lunchbag letdown continues you'll have to elaborate so we can hash it all out step by step.

rd

Post by rd » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:09 am

Like I said above, I've had him send me his texture folder inside the effects folder. This way I could see that he didn't put another "texture folder" inside the textures folder. 8O His textures are fine.

His lights .cfg is spot on. He copy pasted my FULL lights system as a whole. So I know that is fine. And just in case, I had him send me his aircraft.cfg. Yep....spot on.

Tonight I asked him to send me his full effects folder. There has to be something wrong there. That's all I can surmise after everything else has failed.

As for an effect that has been opened and then closed/saved, I've never seen it change it's format ever. But stranger things have happened. Which is one reason why I wanted his FULL effects folder.

There is one thing that has happened before, but it was on the Nuke effect. My "fx_1.bmp" has to be used for it to show up. If you don't, because it is already there, it will not show up, as it should. Those that had that problem, had it fixed in one email response, because I knew they didn't use mine.

Any-who, if I don't find anything wrong with his "Effects" folder, I am out of ideas. Other than sending him my full F-14D package. (minus a few custom paints)

RD
RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm

I've asked my Notepad to save as a plain text format in the past and if I'm not watchful when messing with effects files they will re-save as .txt, that's all, wanted to cover all the bases.

Process of elimination now bud, lemme know if I need to turn my brain on again to help trouble shoot this one. (Remember me taking three days to figure out .XML A/B's for the airbike? It was your goodies and gauges, and simple advice that got my reheat all hot and happy at the end.)

Keep us posted, and get your bud to post up a victory shot after the flames finally fire up! :!:

rd

Post by rd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:17 am

This turned out to be something out of the twilight zone.

I got his effects folder in full, and replaced mine with his. And they worked. Now I am at a total loss. For the fun of it, I asked what panel he was using. He said one that has "eye candy". And he didn't know where he got it, or what it was called. I asked if he still had the original panel with the F14 download, and he did. I had him change panels, and OMG, they worked.

I've got him looking for the panel he is using, with the "eye candy", as he put it. If he can't find it, I told him I could probably modify his "panel.cfg" to where they will show up.

Out of 1,200 downloads of my (cough-cough) awesome burners, I get someone with a panel, that has "eye candy", that for some reason, will not show afterburners.

I will remember this, if it comes up again.

There was also someone else that had a problem. They lost the throttle control of the afterburners. That was fixed in a few emails.

I'm just glad I can fix what I put out. Whether it's my fault or not.

RD
RD

harkonnen
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by harkonnen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:27 am

Glad to hear it worked out and your friend is enjoying your afterburners. I'm going to have to get my own PC back online and get ahold of the download. :twisted:

rd

Post by rd » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 am

Don't worry Hark, it will be there when your ready for it.

I had him send me is "Eye Candy" panel so I could look at it. It's a "glorified" F16 panel.

I modified his panel so they would show up. As well, to his surprise, throttle activated Afterburners, something he never had(??).

He's happy, and I can let my gray matter gel again.

RD
RD