New X-Plane out

X-Plane is a comprehensive and powerful flight simulator for personal computers. It offers realistic flight model available for home and it's currently the rival of MSFS
Find here comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

New X-Plane out

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:35 pm

this one looks even better than Fs9, thats my opinion. Great work. Just too pricey for me. http://www.x-plane.com. Great job guys.

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Myth,

Yeah it is pretty cool. I have the v8.0, so I already ordered the updates for mine. Did it a week ago. Should have it any day now.

I was serious when I said X-Plane was catching up in scenery. You can't beat the flight dynamics, beats FS9 no problem for realism.

When I get the 6 DVD's installed, I'll post some shots of it. Man, that is a huge package, 60 gigs.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:14 pm

60 gigs? geezus christ, thats just amazingly large :S half the size of my xp partition! ten times of what i have free at the moment!

webbert
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by webbert » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:33 pm

the city scenery and scenery in general beat fs9 hands down in my opinion :lol:

Brabes

Post by Brabes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Wow that is nice sceney looks better than fs9 anyway.

Brabes

Post by Brabes » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:48 pm

actually, i agree, it is large and expensive, but it looks good! But really you need to try it before you come to any conclusions.

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:51 pm

rd wrote:You can't beat the flight dynamics, beats FS9 no problem for realism.
i'm sure it does for fs9 (cmon, its all a big joke, its too hard to make a "real" flying plane in this sim except for real pros like PMDG and realair. okay, several others too. but i have to pay a lot of extra for that). i havent seen/tried x-plane, but i still have a feeling that the most realistic sim at the moment is Falcon 4.0 Allied force. The main reason is that in that sim there's only one plane which had to be modelled very close to the real one. I only found one difference in the cockpit for example: the possibility to chabge the HUD's color. but that is only a possibility, you dont have to do it if you want that last percent of realism.

rd

Post by rd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:31 pm

Myth,

BELIEVE ME. For flight dynamics and realism, you CANNOT beat X-Plane. The modeling is very good. Add on textures for the a/c are as good as Exxmans paints. OK, maybe a little better.

I don't know how you fly. But if you think your going to get a 747 inverted under 3,000 ft, and survive, forget it. Not in X-Plane. In FS9, yeah, you can do it, all day. But it is not real.

Now take into consideration this. I spent $30 for FS9, and another, lets say $100 for some scenery and a/c add-ons, all for FS9. So in total of me having this for less than a year, I have $130 invested.

Now with the X-Plane, I have $50 for the DVD V.8, and just got the global scenery for it for $40. I have $90 invested in it, and it kicks FS9's butt all over the place, in every aspect.

It depends on what you want. Do you want to *play* around while flying, then get FS9. If you want real world flying, and the *oops* factor. Then get the X-Plane. I love both of them. But what I can do in FS9, I cannot do in X-Plane, flying wise.

RD
RD

Mythrilfan
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Mythrilfan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:40 pm

of course, everything you just said is true. and i beleave that x-plane is surely one of the most realistic ones out there. of course it is hard to compare these two, but x-plane simulates a lot of aircraft while Falcon 4.0 Allied Force only one. Seems logical to me that the latter is more detailed in the sim part... but of course i might be wrong. and fs9 still is too arcadeish to compete with these two mammoth sims. And it's only around 30$ on ebay.
Last edited by Mythrilfan on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richy2237
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Richy2237 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:20 pm

I ordered x-plane last week and looking forward to it as well. I agree with rd on the cost factor. I hope It is as good a I am expecting.

I have been checking around for a bit and dont seem to see many add-ons. For example, My cities airport CYXE. Fs9, Bruce Ellisons' add-on and Ultimate Terrain have that down pretty good. I,m curious what x-plane has to offer in that regard. Any comments?

Thanks

Richy.....

rd

Post by rd » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 pm

Richy,

Sorry man, I don't know. I fly X-Plane when I am in the mood for serious flying. As for the scenery, until this was posted, I really didn't pay much attention to it. Same with airports and towns. Just logged a flight, flew it, then landed. Which is harder to do with X-Plane.

Myth, I have never tried Falcon. But your reasoning is understood and well taken.

RD
RD

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:54 pm

How is it for graphics/animation quality compared to FS9 guys? Hmmm...gotta check into this one more.

*adds to list that he will send to Santa*

Exx

Captain_Sean

Post by Captain_Sean » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:31 am

So basically, X-Plane is for the people who are serious in flying/simming and want the greatest amount realism and MSFS is for people that just want to have fun with it.....of course im not saying that people who have MSFS aren't big into flying/simming (myself included) because not everyone has the money to buy a new sim...or if its really that large of a program, a new hard drive lol

Sean

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:49 am

Exx,

I check my mailbox daily. When I get it and loaded I will let you know.

Richy....

rd

Post by rd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:06 am

Capt Sean and others,

Please do not get me wrong. FS9 is great. I really do love flying it. It is very fun to fly, I have never had a bad flight.

Exx, there is a demo that you can get for X-Plane http://www.x-plane.com/demo.html :Try it out you might like it. But, be warned. It is nowhere near the actual V8 DVD that I have, plus the plug-ins.

I might have to get another Hard Drive for the new scenery. 60 GB, that is huge man.

RD
RD

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 am

Wow...thanks guys. Will check it out and also keep an eye out for your opinion Richy...

Exx

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:35 pm

Today is a good day! I just recieved my 7 DVD disks for the new X-plane. Off I go to the store for new hardware. I have 1 question though.

New DFI MB has 4 ram slots AMD (939)

I was told that 4-512MB sticks of ram is faster than 2-1GB sticks..He said The 2 1gig sticks will only be at 8ooMHz while the 4-512 will be at 2000MHz. Fill up all slots for faster performance.......? Any comment.

Thanks

rd

Post by rd » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:40 pm

I got my 7 discs last week. I need a new HDD, not enough space for the first DVD. 9.9 Gig.

It is true. I am also going to get another 512 stick instead of the 1 Gig. Just make sure they are all exactly the same.

Hopefully I will have every thing installed by this weekend. ( praying we don't get anymore snow )

RD
RD

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:30 pm

No kidding,,,enough snow huh..8 inches in the last 2 days here. I wont get my system till after X-mas. I told them look after all their x-mas orders first.

I decided on an amd 3700+ 1mb cache for now. I just about went with the x2 3800+ but ...I can always upgrade to the 4400 0r 4800 x2 when prices come down a bit...x-plane supports dual processors!...also 7800gt video and 2 gig ram...Oh so sweet it will be.

Post some screenies when you have yours up ok..I will as well...

Richy...

1 note for all...from what I have experienced The MSFS community is WAY larger and WAY more friendly.....

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:02 pm

Might want to check out some PC forums for answers to that question Richy. Quite involved. Depends on mobo and ram installed. Don't see how you get a clock drop with two sticks vs. four...all depends on make/model of mobo and ram used.

Start a new topic if you need to discuss it further.

Exx

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanks Exx,

I am doing that right now.

Richy