Your Take on MS Flight

Microsoft has announced and new flight simulation game, the latest of the Microsoft Flight Simulator family, "Microsoft Flight". This is the place to talk about it, get help or whatever related.

Moderator: gbesoain

Haun
SurClaro senior forum member

Your Take on MS Flight

Post by Haun » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:37 am

Hey Guys! Its been a few years, and a lot has happened since I was last here.

But that's not what I'm here about.
I just downloaded Flight, and, unfortunately, I am not impressed.

While the graphics are great, and its sleek and fast running, the gameplay has suffered greatly.
I know that Microsoft wanted to take Flight another direction, and that direction is not Simulation any more, but I think that this really dumbs down the series, and kills the experience.

I was wondering what you guys thought.

mel wilson
Forum Moderator - Master member

Re: Your Take on MS Flight

Post by mel wilson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:25 am

Hiya bud

Not tried it yet, but I guess I will have to see for myself, do you have a link or is it to search for?

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

Haun

Post by Haun » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:26 pm

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm

If it is not a Simulator but just another Game, I see no need for me to download it. However, if it manages to get some of the gamers interested in aviation enough to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator and spend some time at their local airport, I am all for it.

PS: In the past month I was able to convince two of my co-workers to purchase a Discovery Flight as the birthday present for their significant-other.
Last edited by skipperdan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

rd

Post by rd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:56 pm

I think it pretty rude to call anyone a "gamer" because they post their system specs. I have a great machine, but it isn't about gaming. It is about Photoshopping and video working and editing.

I'm fine with promoting your flight interests, and sharing it with others. But the last bit was a bit over the top. Do I need a Discovery Flight?? No, I've been on enough planes and helo's. And yes, they were both military and civilian flights, where I could hit the pilot.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 pm

RD:

I did come on a too strong. Therefore, I edited my response.

Please excuse me if I was rude. That was not my intention. However, you have to appreciate my personal feelings. For many years, I have tried to encourage Surclaro people to get off of their computer chair and become more involved in aviation. I even went so far as to develop two Topics such as "Captain Dan's Tips". To my disappointment, I only encountered feedback from one person who showed enough initiative to do some research and answer one of the questions that I posted. I assume that the "gamers" chose not to leave their computer chairs. Therefore, I have some bad feelings as a result of my disappointement.

PS: I did not get to bed until about 3:30 am today. I received a phone call from my Mission Pilot at 11:55 pm Friday night advising me that an ELT had been detected in our area. The Mission Pilot asked me to be his co-pilot. By the time that I arrived at the airport, I received another call from him advising me that our flight had been cancelled due to bad weather and low clouds in our area. Therefore, I got out my hand-held scanner and walked around our airport just in case the 121.5 signal was coming from an aircraft on the tarmac. After walking around for about 20 minutes, I identified the aircraft. A Ground Team was dispatched with fancy detection equipment. They confirmed my find. The owner of the aircraft was contacted by the local police department about 2:00 am.
The Ground Team and I waited for the owner to showup and turn off his ELT. I left the airport at about 2:45 am. The owner of the aircraft works at a local hospital and had to be at work by 6:00 am.
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

JetRanger
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by JetRanger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Well the owner of PMDG didn't think to much of it, especially as some try to call it a Sim. Its definetly a Thumbs Down - No Jets, No Heli's, No weather and NO Atc or A.I. Traffic, but ya do get Tokens to try to catch !! Also, Pete over at Simivation weighed in his 2 cents what he knows from the inside about it - sumed up quickly, MS has already stated that there will be no jets, heli's or AI in Flight, or ATC, read his post in the forum over at simivation to find out more . I say it'll fail by August or sooner and judging from the comments below the video's on YOU TUBE , 90% gave it a thumbs down !!!

harkgoddammit
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by harkgoddammit » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 am

Well...... I read a bunch of words by a bunch of die hard simmers over at Simviation. Let's just say that by the sounds of it, now that I'm a little more informed - "Gamulation" seems to be a compliment for this crap. Ahh the almighty dollar....

EDIT: Most give it six months to live. I say they flog it for a year or so & then.... delete bin at Walmart!!

Brain Licker

Post by Brain Licker » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:40 pm

As stated up top, the graphics and quality of the visuals are quite high and stunning, but even when I first ran Flight, it felt all too much like a game. Even the first screen you get to is arcade style with the "Press any key/button to continue." The menus are limited as to what you are offered and can set up the game to be. The in game HUD feels too much like something taken from a PS3/XBox game for a space flight fighting thing.The missions seemed promisingly story like to begin with, but going into free flight was just plain rubbish - for example, no real world weather any more and no ATC (not even chatter) as mentioned.
I think Microsoft have gone about it the wrong way with this 'game'. Making folk pay for what is currently two more a/c and, if they want more scenery, the northern Hawaiian islands - bit of a rip off really. I understand that's what previously third-party add-ons were all about, but at least Microsoft created a nicely rounded sand box sim with former versions of their flight sims.

This one feels restricted - which according to their aim of feeling free through flight, isn't really any good.

Also, I heard it through the grapevine that future add on aircraft from Microsoft are to be in a 'speed' (or similar) themed bundle. Includes a/c like the X-15 and SR-71. But again, it's a rumour...
8) Check this out: Farmboyzims Flight-Sims :P

OH YEAH BABY!!! - FS2004

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 pm

I guess there's a new bunch of folks who weren't actual flight simulator enthusiasts that may be attracted to this game, but if you've enjoyed FS9 or FSX... where's that raspberry guy... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

ppgstf
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by ppgstf » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm

My take on this is that it is most certainly not a sim, it's a game and that's showing no disrespect to either simmers or gamers (or both).

Graphically it looks very nice but that's where it ends for me. Fine, if you want to pootle round Hawaii all day, that's up to you but I'm a heavy metal worldwide simmer who expects more from Microsoft than this.

Having spawned a number of ground breaking sims over the years I think MS should be ashamed of themselves with the latest offering. I appreciate that their emphasis has probably changed and they are maybe targeting casual gaming type flyers. I just don't think this will get hard core simmers all fired up.

harkgoddammit

Post by harkgoddammit » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:48 pm

'...They stayed away in droves.'

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm

So ... We are all agreed... It does not earn the right to be called a Sim and in saying that, it neither has the right to have it's own forum here.

Mel.

http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

jandjfrench
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jandjfrench » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what's going on here. Will the forum devoted to Flight be closed?
I've been checking sites, which over the years have provided good info, looking for helpful hints regarding Flight. The near pathological bashing seems to be subsiding for the most part but is this a closed issue as far as this site is concerned?

Jim F.

Radioman

Post by Radioman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm

One other issue with Flight is that all add-ons and scenery will have to be purchased from Microsoft itself. The whole Flight installation is one big pak file that has a way of checking itself for unauthorized user modifications. That means no third party aftermarket add-ons, no customizing the planes to your liking be editing panels, paint schemes, flight dynamics, etc. No more freeware developers allowed. No more scenery building and/or customizing scenery yourself. You have to accept what add-on aircraft and scenery they sell you and be stuck with it like it or not. That business model is an EPIC FAIL. They will be alienating the very core group of long time faithful hobbyists that made the Flight Simulator franchise the success that it is. I will definitely have to pass on this one.

Boglin
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by Boglin » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 am

After all the hype and waiting I was somewhat disappointed. Although the graphics out strip my humble gforce 6800 the game is a long way from FSX (which I can run at full capacity and still get 20-30 fps). It implies that you can use fsx stock but as far as I can see this is not so just a toy plane with blurry controls and restricted flights. I think this is about the money from add-ons rather than a good product for a reasonable price. God knows microsoft need the cash.
With all the improvments there have been in cgi in the last few years I hope to see this reflected in the next true flight sim and a little more accuracy in the scenery. FS in real time google earth?

jasonlee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by jasonlee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Yes, for me the downfall of MS flight simulator started since Flight Sim X, and that true, some one had to buy a million dollar machine to play merely a sim.
http://www.flightravelgear.com