Can someone help me in FS98

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Can someone help me in FS98

Post by nrkazmi » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:04 pm

I am using MS Flight Simulator98 and am a novice in this field. I have tried to use the help which comes with FS98 but I am still not getting the very basics. For example, what I have understood so far, I can make a plane fly off from the runway, but then I cant make it stay in one altitude. I have to keep the joystick moving back and forth and plane usually stalls. I cant even understand the basic instruments as they are changing so rapidly that I dont know how to maintain engine rpm in a given value, how to know what is my position in relation to airport, and if i make a right or left turn how can I know how much turn have I made. For example if I want to make a 30 degree turn to southeast how would I know that I am exactly turning 30 degress in the right direction.
And biggest of all I dont know how to land the aircraft e.g boeing 737. I have studied the help files about ILS, but I cant make it work. I dont know how to switch ILS, and how to know where is the runaway, how to make a smooth descending angle and land on the runway. Everytime, I crash my plane.
So anyone on this forum can help me out by giving me some websites where there are some very very basic tutorials to help novices like me. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:18 pm

Wow, FS98 huh? Okay, try this link...

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/m-howto.htm

Let us know if it works...

Exxman

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:24 pm

Thanks Exxman
I have downloaded some tutorials of interest from the website you mentioned. Will notify you of the progress if I make. By the way, is there any technique for improving the graphics of FS98. I have a 32MB Sis videocard on my P4 motherboard.
I do have FS 2002 as well as FS 2004 CDs but somehow they have problems. FS2002 CD gives errors while installation while FS2004 gives an error during installation that I dont have enough disk space or low memory. I know thats not correct because I have 256Megs of RAM while my Hard Drive is a huge 80Gigs. I am using Windows 98SE. Due to these problems I have been compelled to switch back to FS 98.

Thanks once again

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:33 pm

Glad to help. Tell me what the errors are when you try to load (?) FS2002 and I'll see if I can help. Don't know much about FS2004 but there are many fine pilots here that can help you with that and believe me...they will.

TTYS.

Exxman

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Thankyou very much Exxman, once again for your kind and nice words. I feel obliged. As far as installation of FS2002 is concerned, somewhere during installation it says that cant copy sound.cab and when I press the ok button, the whole installation is reveresed. When I manually try to copy the whole CD disk 1 to the hard drive, somehow the sound.cab file gets copied but then some other files start giving error and the error message displayed is Cant copy xxx.cab. One or more files on the cd seems to be corrupt.
Anyway, back to FS98. I have some very basics question.
1) How can I make the instruments panel look bigger because its really hard to read the values in the Autopilot panel.
2) Say if I chose to fly from an airport A to airport B in another city, from the choice given, how do I know which routes to follow. What I mean is that which headings, altitude, Nav frequencies to use.
3) During taxiing a plane how do I know where to take turns and approach a given runway. Most of the times I tke plane into side lawns or offshot the txiway or tarmac.

Thanks

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:53 pm

Nrkazmi,

You are most welcome. Help is always there if you ask.

You should be doing a 'FULL' install of FS2002. If the sound cab file or something else is corrupt (happened to me with voices.cab) then you can always go to a P2P network and download the offending corrupt file and replace it with the original. Try that. PM if you have any other problems...

As for questions 1 to 3...I don't know anything about FS98 bud...sorry. I know how to do it in FS2002 so let's get that running shall we??

Keep trying and we'll get it.

Exxman

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:35 pm

Thanks Exxman
That seems to be a nioce suggestion. Some files on the first installation disk seems to have some problems. Tell me where can I find the replacements for the most probably damaged files like voices.cab or sounds.cab. Is there some website for that or do I have to install some special sort of software to access those files from any peer to peer network.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:33 pm

I guess Kazaa, Morpheus or any of them will do. I use Overnet. The issue of copyright is moot if you are just replacing files on a 'licensed' program. Give that a shot, it should work as I did the same and it was fine. Remember, do a full install okay? Good Luck!

Exxman

bluetop
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

fs98

Post by bluetop » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:44 pm

ok i'm not an exprt but here are a few suggestions:use the spot veiw from behind when taxiing,this should make it a little easier.to use autopilot go to the dropdown menu for aircraft,you should see autopilot settings.to learn basic techniques of getting around go to meigs(default) and practice flying around the airport,making touch and goes. look at your headings:start north,turn west,east south,land etc.the lessons are a good way to learn navigation,to be honest im lazy about it i usually just fly around,but the land me feature(press x}if the plane you are using has it,will at least guide you to an airport then you can make your approach manually.use the number pad on your keyboard(turn num lock off)to trim for level flight at about 70 percent power.im still using fs98 cauce its fun and i'm saving to buy a whole new computer.hope this helps, good luck!

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:14 am

Hi Exxman
Finally after lots of trouble I somehow got the FS2002 installed. Microsoft people were as usual unwilling to help. So this time I got hold of two sets of pirated CD's. Each of them was also giving problem both in full as well as custom installation. But then what I did, that I cloned the CD's as virtual CD and from there I ran the customized set up and the thing got installed. So I am finally up and running :-)
Now tell me some basic things.
If during flight I have to make a 30 degrees turn towards the north, how do I calculate that I am making a 30 degrees turn and not making more or less.
What is the way of flying smooth at one altitude and not having a bumby ride of going up and down.

Thanks

guido90
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by guido90 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:31 am

Autopilot, if available, and if not, slowly and carefully trim the aircraft for a stable cruise using elevator and aileron trim. Does FS2002 work on you'r computer? Did you sucseed.
Pilot' report: Noise behind left panels. Sounds like a little man with hammer.
Repairman's report: Took hammer from little man.

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:27 pm

Thats the basic problem for me. How to trim the cruise and altitude without using an Autopilot. And how to make exact calculated turns and banks??? Yes, the FS2002 is working on my computer.

guido90

Post by guido90 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:40 pm

I'm glad that FS2002 is working, but tell me please what do you mean by calculated banks, just bank to 15-25 degrees, and start a smooth rollout (to zero deg of bank) about 15 degrees from your desired heading.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:37 pm

Good Job!!! Told ya it would work.

Now, for your other questions...check this out:

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/m-howto.htm

Lots of cool tips and tricks...happy flying!!

Exxman

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:13 pm

Thanks Exxman and Guide90
The first thing when I say calculated banks is like this, or let me put it in these words. Say I took off from an Airport A in direction of north and at altitude of 1500 feet, I decide to take a left turn in such a way that my new direction becomes 40 degrees to west. Now how do I know that when I bank to the left I am banking at an angle of 40 degress and not 60 or 20 degrees. Second part of the question that for how long (time in seconds) I have to keep myself banked and then turn level off so that I am in the new direction. I hope I have put it in right words. Anyway I apologize if my words dont make any sense. Thanks in advance.

guido90

Post by guido90 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:35 pm

My name is Guido, you can call me Mr.Guido, but please don't call me Guida, or Guide, or Guiso, I don't like that :roll:

Try using you'r compass, the big round thing with numbers on it. And as for the banking, I already said bank 15-25 degrees to the left to turn left, and same to the right to turn to the right. This is as simple as it can get. It always looks something like this.
Attachments
hsi.jpg

nrkazmi
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by nrkazmi » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:43 pm

Thanks for giving a useful hint on using the compass. You said that turn 15-25 degrees left. Fine, but for how long I have to keep the plane banked at this angle. I mean to say that should I keep it banked on 20 degrees till I get the required degrees direction on the compass, and the level the plane.??
And I am sorry if I mispelled your name. I am not good at spelling names and that has been one of my weakest areas. Apologies for that.

guido90

Post by guido90 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:24 pm

Don't worry, I was just kidding about the name. Er, just bank the plane to the side, and watch the compass, when you're about 15 degrees off the desired heading (the heading you wanna turn to), then level the wings (0 degrees bank) and then correct the heading by small banks 3-5 degrees

lc
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
Location: Hythe, Southampton (80 miles southwest of London) UK

Post by lc » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 pm

ok.
the first thing i recommend is th@ you upgrafe your simulation software eg: FS98-->FS2002 or FS98-->FS9(2004) once you've upgraded, you should get settled a lot easer, the newer MSFS'S have advanced software without being too complex
lc
lc- i''m back :wink:!!

crazydunc

Post by crazydunc » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:48 pm

LC
3 years old mate

Dunc
Dunc

vRAF

rd