Free weather information on it's way out???

Have some weather knowledge?, Want to learn?

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

Free weather information on it's way out???

Post by ricktobin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:34 pm

Anyone that likes to get weather information and updates for FREE from the NWS should check out this bill currently pending in the U.S. Senate.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/conte ... _0421.html

If you use this service at all, for anything, even only for FS, and you're old enough to vote (and a U.S. citizen of course), I suggest you take a minute and fire off an email to your state legislators stating your opposition to any such legislation.

WTF...don't these Senators have anything better to do for their states than mess with things that actually work? How about fixing something that's broke for a change.

I'll even give you the link to the U.S. Senate Directory:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_i ... rs_cfm.cfm

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Good post Rick! I fail to see what the bill actually encompasses regarding the changes.

Geez, in a day and age where more and more information is getting u/l to the Net...this guy is going backwards! I agree 100% with you in that these people don't look to fix things that are broken, but go after breaking down things that are working. Our politicians are no better here...

Again...good post and links.

Exx

groundsquirrel

I know..

Post by groundsquirrel » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:22 pm

I know that this may be a little off, but I think the main reason for most of the perturbations is undertrained/underpaid plastic surgeons.....they are leaving their noses too long :D
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:42 pm

"What we want is to make sure that whatever information is provided to one source is provided to all," Myers said.
What he didn't say is that he wants to be that one source and make a profit on it.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

Red1530
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by Red1530 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:55 pm

What the heck is Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa thinking! I like going to National Weather Service website because it offeres services that weather.com and accuweather.com don't have like seeing the weather modles.

bschott
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by bschott » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:24 am

Red1530 wrote:What the heck is Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa thinking! I like going to National Weather Service website because it offeres services that weather.com and accuweather.com don't have like seeing the weather modles.
I'll tell you exactly what he is thinking...

*Sen. Rick Santorum* "Hummm...Kickbacks and Campain Contrabutions!"

All Accuweather and The Weather Channel (weather.com) want to do is be the 'microsoft's of this little market.

Hell, who cares about lives...there is profit to be made.

Besides, if you can't pay..then you don't deserve to know if the smog level is going to be high, the UV level will be in the red or there is a tornado headed your way.

Read the bill...even though it says they still can issue warnings, they are limited in what format.

IE...we can't go online to a place like http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsv ... gmain.html to see what is going on in the nation...not unless we pay these two worthless companies a few dollars (or view their pop-up ads).

I would love to have the senate turn around and just flip this bill so it says that if any company is to provide weather information, they must do it for free.

Now...how would they feel about it?

(P.S. I ment to spell it CONTRAbutions...any person who lived in the Reagan-era will get that one)