Cloud Question

Have some weather knowledge?, Want to learn?

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

kane35
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Cloud Question

Post by kane35 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:56 pm

hello All! I got a question about the weather. ok i dont under stand when like you fly with "Real World Weather" and like it says broken and im on the ground. and when you look at the sky it looks overcast but it says broken i should be able to see clouds broken apart in real life weather instead of it looking overcast. and i know it's got something to do with visibility. but then when i have overcast it's kinda like broken clouds and i dont get it after i pass thre the clouds about 12,000 ft it dont look overcast just looks clear from above. But i want the overcast above/under me! need help about this thanks

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:15 pm

The generation of clouds, and the graphics associated with same is a bit of a problem in FS. Requires a lot of juice both by the CPU and grafix card to attain even semi-reasonable results.

Some of our members here use Activesky with FSUIPC and achieve some pretty phenomenal results! But some don't and have wicked shots as well. Check out the s/s forum, and if you see a pic you like, PM that person and I'm sure they will assist you. If not, you can hang out here and I'm sure someone else will come around to help you out further.

Post up your system specs as well to allow a better analysis...

Exx

Cat1
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by Cat1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:05 am

This is a bit old but I'll revive it.
When given a weather report and the cloud conditions are "broken" there is an altitude and a "coverage" given. This would be similar to at 5K feet 7/8 broken. That is still a lot of clouds. You normally, well sometimes, can see DOWN through the clouds but can hardly ever see UP through them. That has to do with the way the light refracts and reflects when going through them.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:10 am

Check out "Silver Wings" which is available from AVSIM. I believe that it is listed as "SLVRWNGS"

Silver Wings for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. This program replaces ground textures and autogen to favor the low and slow modern General Aviation and Bush pilots. Textures include original, revised Microsoft and It also installs new reflective water treatment, new weather themes and low frame rate hit clouds. Silver Wings works best WITHOUT addon roads programs as it relies on full use of maximized autogen to create cities and suburbs. Revised autogen increases density and type of objects for a different flight experience. Not recommended for heavy iron pilots but rural and city scapes are sure fun to fly over at treetop level!

also adds new Silver Wings weather themes for the GA flyer to play with. There is a very large selection of Weather Themes. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html