Shareware Active Sky???

Have some weather knowledge?, Want to learn?

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Shareware Active Sky???

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:08 pm

i was wondering if someone could help me a little. i was toying around with FS2004~9.1 and i can not seem to get the clouds to form dismal, dreary, you-go-outside-you're-gonna-die thunderstorm effects... is there anywhere i can go to download such weather, or does Active Sky 5.0 (or newer) have the ability of doing this?? Or is there a Weather Generator that will allow you to build your own conditions?? 250 mph winds, damaging hail the size of soft balls, with 300 mph F-5 tornados, and also have lightening strikes to your craft???????? These are the conditions that i would find truely intresting and would love to try my hand at.

I would really like it if i could at least fly in the stock thunderstorms again that came with FS2004, but for whatever reason i am not given the option to change the weather conditions.

1 other thing... if i am not playing online (which i never do) how does FS download winds aloft, and updated weather material if i never tell it to, or am connected to the net?????????? :-s

.... on a different topic, that i can post elsewhere, i have a Picture that i would like to put on my profile as an avatar, but it is 2-3 kb too large, anyway to change this and be able to get in on there???? if anyone could also help with this, it is below... thanks.
Attachments
Mainline pushback.jpg
Actual US AIR 737-300 "Mainline" Pushback

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:04 pm

capt.PropwashKCHS wrote:.... on a different topic, that i can post elsewhere, i have a Picture that i would like to put on my profile as an avatar, but it is 2-3 kb too large, anyway to change this and be able to get in on there???? if anyone could also help with this, it is below... thanks.
You can use photo programs like Picasa by Google to resave it at a lower resolution or shrink it.

Your picture is 1087x427 pixels, so I shrunk it. (The limit's 200x200 pixels)
Attachments
Mainline pushback.jpg

Shankar
SurClaro senior forum member
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Shankar » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:43 am

I dont believe FS9 can download any weather data if you are not connected to the net. First of all, it downloads weather data only if you have selected "Real-world weather (static)" or "Real-world weather (updated every 15 minutes)" in weather options. If you select this option and are not connected to the net, when you start your flight it gives an error msg "unable to download realworld weather. Please check your internet connection...". If you are not connected to the net and also dont get this error msg, you have not set "real-world" weather in your weather options.

However you can manually enter any weather settings including winds aloft etc. from the "CREATE A FLIGHT" menu by going to <Selected weather>, <CHANGE>, <User-defined weather>, <Customize weather...>, and if needed <Advanced Weather>. Of course, you get complete weather generation here but you dont get all the visual treat and fun promised by active sky though! So you may have the 250 mph wind in the thunderstorm but you will have just a few puffs of smoke to pass for the thick dark cumulus of a thunderstorm!