Determining Winds Aloft

Have some weather knowledge?, Want to learn?

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

Carter
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Determining Winds Aloft

Post by Carter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:46 pm

Are there any good programs for determining / displaying winds aloft in FS9?

As it stands now, if I want to figure out what the winds are like between 6,000 and 16,000 feet for a VFR flight with a Cessna 152, I have to fly up to 16,000 and make note of the windspeed along the way. It would be nice if I could see the winds aloft ahead of time to help in flight planning.

I considered purchasing FS METEO w/ Wx Display and modifying the panels to display the "winds aloft" gauge, but I'd like to ask around before shelling out US $65.

Thanks in advance!

tomcatdriver2006
SurClaro senior forum member

use advanced weather in fs9 if fsx say so

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:29 am

FS9 weather setup allows wind speeds all that stuff to be set by you in boundary layers. use weather > advanced, fix it up they way you like it.

Don't waste money on something there now.

Also when REAL weather is used, to check the winds aloft, go to noaa.gov, find aircraft winds aloft data.
luck,
s.

capt.PropwashKCHS
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by capt.PropwashKCHS » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:14 am

while in the aircraft on the ground, or in the air, press SHIFT + Z (3 times) and look for .. WINDS xxx / xx MAG (ex. WINDS 358 / 12 Mag ) Meaning the wind is coming FROM heading 358, and a MAGnitude / strength of 12 knots
Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop
WINXP Home (sp3)
Intel Celeron M -- Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1396 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,280.00 MB
Video: Name Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Sound: SigmaTel C-Major Audio

tomcatdriver2006

missed the boat on that one for the direct path! lol

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:19 am

Thanks Chris, DUH on me. Sorry about that gang, THAT was the ??, and Chris had the shortcut. For long range terms yes, my idea will work but to just get the info, Chris is right on target! YEAH Chris! ... really!

Steve
Tomcatdriver

tomcatdriver2006

One thing.

Post by tomcatdriver2006 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:29 am

Forgot to tell you Chris,

MAG is = Magnetic Compass.

Not Magnitude or TRUE NORTH. "True" is used by getting MAG Variance in degrees from the USGS Flight Charts. You can read on it by a simple search.

All headings are compass driven MAGNETIC readouts. NOT TRUE NORTH headings. These are calculated so that on long flights you get to where you REALLY want to go.

Without this method, you could end up like Earhart, lost at sea, 15 miles from land.

So they say about her mistake in navigation calculations to Howland Island on that last leg over 1,000 miles long.

Thanks,
TomcatDriver

skipperdan
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by skipperdan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:14 am

Check out this page. I oftained this information from the February 2007 issue of COMPUTER PILOT MAGAZINE. 8) 8)

http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/AERODYNAMIC ... PAGE5.HTML
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html