ActiveSky Weather Engine...

Have some weather knowledge?, Want to learn?

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

ricktobin
Forum Moderator - Master member

ActiveSky Weather Engine...

Post by ricktobin » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:36 pm

Seeing as how only moderators can post in the review topic, I figured the next best place to put this was the Weather Forum.

Anyone that doesn't have an active weather program that wants better than the default FS2004 weather, may I suggest the ActiveSky 2004 Weather Engine. I've been using it for about a month now and really like the realism it added to my flying.
Until last night I hadn't had much weather to fly in here in my local area (KNTU / KORF). We were under a severe wind/thunderstorm advisory and soon to follow tornado warning. I jumped into the cockpit of the KingAir and departed from KORF heading South into the storm. It was a trip!
I'm one of those people that, if you say it's REAL, then it better be REAL, especially if I'm paying for it (yep, this one isn't freeware). This morning I verified the METAR reports I was getting from ActiveSky last night, by comparing them to the actual NWS METAR reports issued last night during the storm. They matched up exactly.
I also had the opportunity to test another one of my computer systems last night during the storm, my UPSBack-up system. Not long after I started my flight, the transformer across the street blew, power went out and my 'puter went into shut down mode. END OF FLIGHT. I can't say anything about any other weather program out there, this is the only one I've tried and probably will stay with.

You can find the program here:

http://secure.simmarket.com/product_inf ... anner_id=1

flyrcoyle
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by flyrcoyle » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:19 pm

I did some of the beta testing of this program and you're right, it's one of the best weather programs I've seen. If you like rough weather, try the hurricanes. Or the blizzards. Both very challenging.
Robert S. Coyle

wackie

Post by wackie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:36 pm

How is it on frame rates?

Last night, we had tornados touching down all around and a big bad storm. I jumped on the simulator and downloaded the weather. Broken clouds...huh??? lol!

Exxman

Active Sky

Post by Exxman » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:58 pm

I agree...Active Sky is right on!

I don't even watch the weather channels anymore...just boot up AS...

Exxman

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:30 pm

Wackie, it hasn't affected my frame rates much at all. As for the inaccurate weather, do you have the weather updates set right? Read the documentation for the best configuration settings. There are some specific changes you need to make to FS weather settings also and the doc. explains it all.

darrenecm
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Few questions before I buy AS 2004

Post by darrenecm » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:44 pm

I'm very new to FS2004 and its myriad of add-ons but have become fascinated by the navigational elements of aerial flight, both VFR and IFR after I was given some Air Pilots Manual books to read by a friend who's father was a pilot. It's why I bought FS2004 actually.

From what I've read here, it seems that ActiveSky will inject a healthy dose of added realism into my FS sessions but I have a weather question or two about ActiveSky and FS2004 in general, and you guys seem like you would know the answers. So here goes:

* Is ActiveSky easy to use. Are weather reports generated and presented in a realistic manner as real life (RL) pilots would get them?

* Once you have the forecast wind conditions, how would you find the current enroute wind conditions? I read in a real aviation book that ATC can provide wind conditions but FS2004 ATC doesn't have this feature. Is this true and would ActiveSky be able to give me wind conditions for my current position? Could it give me weather conditions at my destination too?

* How about altitude and temperature? Does FS2004 implement the relationship between what your true airspeed (TAS) compared to indicated airspeed (IAS) given the different air densities at higher altitudes and/or temperatures? Come to think of it, after reading Volume 3 of the Air Pilot's Manual - Air Navigation, what else may not be implemented in FS2004? I've read about compass deviation cards in aicraft but hear FS2004 does not implement compass deviation. Are any other facets of navigation not implemented in FS2004 that I should know about?

There sure is lots to learn about FS2004 but hopefully I can get up to speed with the help of everyone on this great website.

Thanks in advance.

- DE

Exxman

Welcome!

Post by Exxman » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:04 pm

Welcome aboard Darrenecm...thanks for the positive feedback.

Okay, ActiveSky will update your weather at your destination, enroute, or from wherever your aircraft is sitting. It allows you to input your location and gives you updated weather, winds, and temps. Very cool program and worth the $$. Very easy to use, just d/l, and hook it up to FS2004. However, it must be sync'd with FSUIPC according to their documentation so read their files very carefully. The layout for the settings that they give you are simple and quick so I'm sure you won't have a problem. I'm not running FS2004 so I can't give you any input/ideas as to what it does interfaced with said program but one of the boyz will be along shortly here and fill you in on it asap.

I recommend you pay the $ to buy it, you won't regret it!!!

Exxman

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:22 pm

DE...

Question 1: ActiveSky is very user friendly and the Wx reports it produces can be viewed as either METAR or the easy-to-read non-Wx guy type of report.

Question 2: If you create a flight plan in FS and then load that plan into ActiveSky, it will track Wx reporting stations along your route. It may not give the destination Wx right away due to distance, but you will get it before you need it. You can view departure, enroute, and destination Wx anytime during the flight. I'll try to post some screenshots in another post here later tonight showing ActiveSky at work.

Question 3: In FS2004, there will be a difference between TAS and IAS but I think you can only set one or the other to view while flying. You can view your ground speed if viewing the GPS. Also, in FS2004 just like in real life, increases in altitude (changes in air pressure and density) will affect (decrease) your air speed.

NOTE on ActiveSky: Make sure you read the documentation that comes with the program. It does a good job explaining what you need to do to get everything set up and running right. Also, I've only used ActiveSky with a broadband internet connection, not sure how well it works with dialup or anything else. All in all, I'd say it was definately worth the money.

~ Rick

twoturntwo
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by twoturntwo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:44 am

DUDE! FS9 weather is pretty good. Should I really spend $40 for puffier clouds?!?!? Can it REALLY be that good? Look, I've spent hundreds on flight sim stuff for a more realistic experience but do I really need to spend $40 on new wind? I guess I should get it just so I have something to plug into that FSUIPC I purchased! Seriously, someone convince me it's worth it!

ricktobin

Post by ricktobin » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:04 am

If I we're getting kick-backs from Active Sky, I'd do my best to convince you it's worth it.

It doesn't give you "puffier" clouds, it's a real time weather engine that provides you with real world weather.

If you didn't get an idea of what this program does from the posts above, go check out there site for more info.

www.hifisim.com

ActiveSky2004 users...ActiveSky2004.5 has been released.

michaelcraddock

Post by michaelcraddock » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:35 pm

I downloaded a extra set of weather themes, but cant find them! dose anyone know where I could find them again?

Mike

propwash_at_kchs
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

Post by propwash_at_kchs » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:47 am

so far from these posts i have heard a lot about ActiveSky and it being a real time weather generator.

but i have a few questions of my own. ... like can you set it up to where you can have a hurricane spawn in the dead middle of winter when sea temps are around 50-60 degrees?? or have an extreme low front spawn tonados in the middle of a blizzard in downtown Manhattan??

ive peaked out the FS2004/FS9 weather settings and put it on severe thunderstorm.... lightening is 1/4 decent at best, sound from the thunder is okay.... but i would really like to take a C-17 Globemaster III right through the heart of an extreme thunderstorm with 80-130 mph winds, 6 F-3 to F-5 Tornados all over the place , dodging lightening bolts every second and put the plane to the ultimate test.

if anyone knows of any generators that you can control the weather, plus download real weather maybe from ActiveSky i would love to know. im really wanting to put my planes through hell, but FS2004/9 just aint cutting it for me.

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:01 pm

Active Sky takes real-world information and uses it to generate weather as per real world conditions. It's much better than the stock FS weather engine. Coupled with FSUIPC you can get some pretty realistic weather. But it doesn't have the ability to alter weather scenarios as you can with the stock FS weather. I saw an addon over at Avsim ages ago that was similar to Doherty's Dangerous Approaches only in a weather theme kind of idea. Might want to search for that.

Rick Tobin is the best person to contact for Active Sky stuff...he knows it inside out. He might know of some weather theme addons as well.

Exx