CARB HEAT

Real world flight lessons to be applied on flight simulations. Read and share tutorials, tips, tricks, procedures, experiences, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

skipperdan
Forum Moderator - Master member
Forum Moderator - Master member

CARB HEAT

Post by skipperdan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Here is another good reason for you'all to join AOPA which is a fantastic organization. For less than the cost of a hardware or software addon, you can afford an annual membership.

Here is an excellent article from today's member newsletter.

TRAINING TIPs
Carb heat technique
Warmer temperatures and high humidity create many challenges for pilots, including reduced aircraft performance, thunderstorm development, and rapid fog formation when temperature-dewpoint spreads narrow. These are also the conditions that elevate the risk of aircraft with carbureted engines developing ice in the carburetor throat, with potential for power loss or even engine stoppage. Do you use correct technique to minimize the risk? Can you recognize the signs of carburetor icing’s onset?

Flight training operations requiring multiple power adjustments or sustained flight at low power settings make training aircraft especially susceptible to carb icing, as discussed in the Aug. 23, 2002, Training Tip. If you suspect carb icing because of a gradual power loss or engine roughness, act promptly and aggressively to eliminate it. In most aircraft equipped with carbureted engines, that means applying full carb heat until normal operation has been restored.

If carb icing was present, chances are that the engine’s response to your actions will confirm your suspicions in dramatic fashion. “The first time you experience carb ice can be startling, since application of full carb heat—as recommended—will likely cause brief coughing and choking in the engine as the ice in the carburetor melts and is ingested by the engine,â€
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

jaeger52
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post by jaeger52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks Skip for the Carb Heat tute. I know more now about the proper use of Carb Heat (thanks to you) than I did yesterday! :D

Jaeg-