[FSX] Carrier Landing Problems

Real world flight lessons to be applied on flight simulations. Read and share tutorials, tips, tricks, procedures, experiences, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

chapman90
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

[FSX] Carrier Landing Problems

Post by chapman90 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Is there any way for me to do a good carrier landing without taking out the hangar-deck? I tried a few times in the FA-18 by doing something. You know that little thing on the HUD that tells you your glide slope angle? Well, I made it so that if the carrier was stopped, I would pass it. However, I ended up under the flight deck of the carrier despite my efforts to land on the flight deck. Where did I go wrong and how can I prevent this in the future?
Last edited by chapman90 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:46 am

It really depends on what HUD you're using, as well as the panel. Same goes with the carrier.

Need to know what exactly you're using. Pics would be a huge bonus on this one. As well what you're flying and what carrier you're trapping on.

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:00 pm

It's an angled flight deck carrier. If you're looking for something more specific like the ship class, then I can't identify the carrier. And the lack of an identification number makes it even harder.

Maybe this will help. It's in one of the tutorial missions. And I already said I'm flying the FA-18. I can't really provide pictures at this time because I haven't taken any screenshots and I don't know how.

mel wilson

Post by mel wilson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 pm

FS9 or FSX ?
http://www.mid-suffolk-radio-modellers.com/index.html

rd

Post by rd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:15 pm

If he's flying the tutorial missions, it's FSX.

I'll check into it tonight and provide an answer.

RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:32 pm

It's FSX. I'll add that part to the title of this thread.

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

chapman90 wrote:It's an angled flight deck carrier. If you're looking for something more specific like the ship class, then I can't identify the carrier. And the lack of an identification number makes it even harder.
Boat number doesn't matter, all U.S. Carriers are of the angled deck variety.
It sounds like you are dropping the glide slope near the boat. I agree that a screen shot would really help, using the search tool (the magnifying glass icon at the top of the forum) search for how to take a screen shot.

Remember, when landing any aircraft... Power equals pitch and control input equals distance.
I'll see if I can reproduce the issue on my set-up... Uh, I don't have this in mine... Is it part of one of the upgrades?
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Well, here's a screenshot of the plane in cockpit view. Stock FA-18 Hornet. By the way, I was able to make a landing, but I don't think I did to well. I was convinced that the nose was going to dig into the flight deck when I got one of the wires and stopped. It took me two tries and I was a tad bit off course.

Any way for me to improve the framerate. I've had issues before on the racing simulators where I've lost a race because of the framerate. Everything is at minimum detail except for global texture size which is at full detail so I can see the instruments, and scenery complexity, which is at normal so I can see the taxiway markers.
Attachments
carrier_landing.png

Cat1

Post by Cat1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Unfortunately that screen shot is not what I was hoping to see, no matter though. It does show some useful information.
The AOA indexer that it to the left hand side of the HUD, it's the one that is green in the upper portion. That needs to be lit up in the circle position that is in the middle. What this is showing you by the screen shot is that you are too high in the glide slope. If it goes to the bottom (/\) it means you are too low.
Landing on a carrier is not really easy, you will have the feeling that you are pointing the airplane at the deck of the carrier, this is because you have lost the glide slope close to the boat and are diving to try to catch up to it.
Also I don't see your ILS needles, those need to be as close to a cross-hair as they possibly can be.
If you want to learn how to fly IFR and land with ILS or have any questions about IFR/ILS. Click this link and the information is there: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

chapman90

Post by chapman90 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:18 pm

I wasn't aware that there were ILS indicators on the HUD. How do I activate it?