"POWER-ON" plus a "POWER-OFF" Stall

Real world flight lessons to be applied on flight simulations. Read and share tutorials, tips, tricks, procedures, experiences, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

skipperdan
Forum Moderator - Master member

"POWER-ON" plus a "POWER-OFF" Stall

Post by skipperdan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:52 am

Today while I was reviewing my tutorial for the G1000 GPS, I received a phone call from my CAP Squadron Commander to meet him at the local FBO. He was planning to rent a C-172 with the G1000. He indicated that he would fly the aircraft while I experimented with the G1000 dials and buttons.

When we arrived at the FBO, we learned that the aircraft was grounded. Therefore, we rented a different C-172 with a 6-pack. About 20 minutes into the flight, Bob turned to me and said, "Dan, did I recently hear you say that you have never experienced a Stall". When I shook my head, he asked if I am ready to go for it. I again shook my head. We were flying at about 3,500 feet AGL when he gave the aircraft full power and slowly pulled back on the yoke to increase the pitch attitude. My stomach felt some minor "anxiety" for just a brief time until the aircraft stalled. Bob then pushed the nose down to gain airspeed and we promptly recovered from the Power-On Stall with minimum loss of altitude. It was not as complicated as I expected. We than attempted a Power-0ff Stall and again, I learned that it is not that complicated.

When I got home, I promptly updated my logbook and added notes about the two stalls. 8) 8)
Last edited by skipperdan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

groundsquirrel

The key...

Post by groundsquirrel » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:42 pm

The key is patience. People sometimes get a little panicky and attempt to overcontrol the situation, which just gets them in more trouble.
Gravity ... it's an Earth thing.