Flight Sim X Newbee

Real world flight lessons to be applied on flight simulations. Read and share tutorials, tips, tricks, procedures, experiences, etc...

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin, groundsquirrel, Insured Disaster

dudler
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Flight Sim X Newbee

Post by dudler » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:40 pm

I just purchased and downloaded FS X, it runs pretty well, except that the A/C have no textures and the panels are blank! Could it be because of my vid card? I have the recomended 10 mb card...s3 pro savage pro. What would work, an ATI 128 meg? Or is it another prob...

specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8 GZ
S3 prosavage DDR Vid Card 10 mb
512 megs RAM

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:10 pm

I doubt the problem stems from bad computer specs, since as long as you meet the requirements, you should be able to run FSX at the lowest setting and still have a panel and textures.

But with your computer specs, you will get indecent graphics, and should consider upgrading. Since your computer has a 10MB graphics card, 512MB of RAM, and your CPU, it's probably quite old (as in more than 3 or 4 years). Since the newest parts are probably not compatible, you also might want to consider buying a new computer. It might cost a little more, but you would most likely get a lot more for your money. If you want to run FSX at decent settings and get decent frame rates, I would suggest at least a 2.5 Ghz Pentium Processor, or the AMD equivalent, at least 1.5GB of RAM, and a 256MB PCI-Express x16 video card.

pilot_alex_14
SurClaro.com Regular Forum Member

Post by pilot_alex_14 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 pm

To get the game to work u need a 256mb video card 4sure and ye 1.5hb ram i have 2gb daul channel and a p4 or so

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:32 pm

pilot_alex_14 wrote:To get the game to work u need a 256mb video card 4sure and ye 1.5hb ram i have 2gb daul channel and a p4 or so
I have a Geforce FX5200 128 mb videocard and 768 mb ram. I can run it at about 15 FPS with pretty good gfx. I have enabled a few tweaks though.

But u won't need a 256 mb card to run it, you will just get much better performance with it...

And btw, I have AMD Athlon 2400+ 2Ghz

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

pjholl

Post by pjholl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:57 pm

Ive heard reports from some people, that even running dual processors, with 512Mb cards and 2Gb of RAM are still getting low frame rates on FSX. If true this may be due to a crappy motherboard or none matching FSB's. If you do upgrade make sure your system is clean and healthy before you install. I would also recommend defraging your comp prior to playing......15Gb looks messy.

Personally I cant afford to upgrade yet, but am looking to get a beast of a computer in the next 4-6 weeks.

pj

dudler
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by dudler » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:03 am

Ok to HECK with FS X!! I'm gona keep flying FS9, apparently I need some sort of new super duper high end PC to run FS X! Can't anyone whos installed it tell me atleast the minium amount of hardwares to run it?
Last edited by dudler on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Post by rd » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:43 am

Whoa there dudler, take a small step back, take a deep breath. Exhale.

Your problem is your vid card and Ram. PERIOD. Minimum specs are a waste of time. Especiallly if you have one that meets it. Meaning only the minimum. It won't show much, as well as crawl slower than a ran over cat.

To run it, RIGHT NOW, you will need to just upgrade your G-card, and RAM. This will get you up and going, and all default settings will keep you happy.

Consider FSX a premie, born before all the workings were developed. Nobody can run it the way it was designed, period. Vista is not available, DX10 is not available, and, as far as I am concerned, a compatible DX10 card is still not available.

And last but not least, you don't need to spend $2,500 for a system to run it the way it is supposed to be run, when everything is available.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

TJ33

Post by TJ33 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:51 pm

I agree with dudler.. FS9 is working super good with all of the 3rd party add ons, so why mess it up with an unknown like FSX???

When you load FSX on your FS9 computer, weird problems popup with many folks and some don't have any problems (so they say)..

When FS9 is excuted an Eula pops up for many. Something to do with corruption of the Register.

The worst thing is that you have only two shots at loading FSX, then you have to buy a new copy... So, why waste money loading it on a system that is clearly not intended to run FSX???

I put my FSX copy on the shelf and will wait (about a year I figure) for the vendors, Vista, hardware, and patches to catch up...

Tj

pjholl

Post by pjholl » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:45 pm

Im glad i came back to this topic, rd has worked his magic again. Although I was very much looking forward to a new x-mas present in the form of a new £1,000 computer, I may take your advice and stick with FS9 for a few more months. I can run it on full graphics at 1280x1024 at 20fps minimum anyway...so whats the rush.
I just miss online flying since fsimcafe went very quiet...any of you know any other good ones?

pj

dudler
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by dudler » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:55 pm

The worst thing is that you have only two shots at loading FSX, then you have to buy a new copy
Is that true?? Howcome? What if you have a PC crash??

crazydunc
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by crazydunc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:35 pm

its micrsofts new anti -copying /piracy idea total wate of time - i mean if i buy FSX il want to change my pc more than twice, where was the point? i tell ya wat they need to get there heads looked at. i mean come on how much thought went into this one - yea some lying cheating people copy disks but the rest of us are then left having to buy a new copy if a change ur pc or as computers are prone to do need reformatting etc . ARG!!!!!!!

lol. thats my daily anti microsoft speech outta the way.....
Dunc

vRAF

rd

Post by rd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:22 pm

Hey guys, don't blow it out of proportion. Read my post in MA. http://forums.surclaro.com/ftopic8312.html

On the same system, from the same place, you can install it 100 times. That isn't a problem. You can only install it on 2 systems, and no more.

If it is installed on a third, fourth system, and you don't register it, you can only fly for 30 minutes at a time. And, if you do try and register it, it will kick it out.

RD
RD

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

crazydunc

Post by crazydunc » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:18 pm

soz!
Dunc

vRAF

Rock-Head

Post by Rock-Head » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:40 pm

I had written a really bad joke in this space earlier. I have since thought better of it and decided to edit it out. Those of you who have read it know what I'm talking. Even though I might have thought it was funny, I now realize that others may not have gotten the joke. If I offended any of you, I am truely sorry.

Please accept my apologies. :oops:

Rock-Head
Last edited by Rock-Head on Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:45 pm

...I just miss online flying since fsimcafe went very quiet...any of you know any other good ones?

pj
I used to fly at Flightsim.no server since Fssimcafe lost all the fun..But you can go here and see if u like any of the Ip's :wink:

http://pic1.piczo.com/xflightx/?g=23733150&cr=1

The Akroma is also pretty good..

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee

TJ33

Post by TJ33 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:13 pm

Thanks rd for clarifying the issue...

When FSX is installed it must register the processor id number (unique in the universe)... The NT operating system did the same thing.

So changing a mother board and processor due to failure is a one shot deal... But, with modern systems the mother board very seldom fails... If there is a problem 9 times out of 10 it will be the power supply...

It was nice of Mr. Gates to give us a spare FSX install in case of hardware problems....

I will wait until the FSX dust settles and the vendors and Vista catch up...

I hope somebody comes up with a FS9 to FSX airplane convertor..

Tj

Behrentzs
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by Behrentzs » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:26 pm

I hope somebody comes up with a FS9 to FSX airplane convertor..
You already CAN use almost ALL FS04 airplanes in FSX. It's just some gauges there's causing problems..

Cheers
Behrentzs
JAA PPL Trainee