Problems With Hosting A Game Online ... PLEASE help

Comments, Bugs, doubts, help or anything related.

Moderators: rd, mel wilson, gbesoain, Cat1, ricktobin

LeFeaoux
New Forum Member
New Forum Member
Location: El Paso, Texas (otherwise known as the armpit of Texas)!!!

Problems With Hosting A Game Online ... PLEASE help

Post by LeFeaoux » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 pm

My brother and I recently purchased CFS3 and are trying to play each-other online HOWEVER, neither of us can get it to work. We can both join OTHER players hosted games but cannot join each-others hosted game. We are both on two separate ISP's at two different locations. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for us? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

LeFeaoux[/u]

heeshung
Addict to SurClaro
Addict to SurClaro

Post by heeshung » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:39 pm

I don't have CFS3, but based on my knowledge about game servers, the biggest problem when it comes to hosting games is ports. When I started trying to host servers for different games a while back, people couldn't connect. I later discovered that my ports on my router were not open. A server needs certain ports to be open both through your firewall AND your router, assuming you have both. Firewalls vary when it comes to ports, but routers are a bit more straightforward.

There are two ways to open ports. A DMZ and port forwarding. A DMZ opens all the ports in your router, while port forwarding opens just the ones you need. Needless to say, port forwarding has more security than a DMZ. A great site to check out for a step-by-step tutorial of your custom situation is www.portforward.com Select "Port Forwarding" at the top, select your router model to see how to forward ports on your router. Next, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829475 and input those ports listed.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to SurClaro!!
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
4096MB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @1066MHz (5-5-5-15) 2.1V
Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 32MB Cache
2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Core in SLI
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR PSU [80A]
Acer X223W 22" 16:10 Widescreen TFT LCD
Azalia HD Audio Connected to 5.1 Channel Harmon/Kardon Surround System and Plantronics GameCom 377 Headset
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Razer Lachesis 4000dpi 3G Laser [Philips Twin-Eye] Wraith Red Edition Gaming Mouse
EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW Special Edition Mainboard 132-YW-E178-A1
Antec Twelve-Hundred Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7000) (7000.winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)

LeFeaoux
New Forum Member
New Forum Member
Location: El Paso, Texas (otherwise known as the armpit of Texas)!!!

Post by LeFeaoux » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks for the info! I am new at playing games online but I DO understand ports and such. My brother and I are both well versed in computers but neither of us thought of the ports ... duh. LOL. We were losing our minds trying to get it to work! :?

My cousin is an IT Tech and he will be in town Saturday for the 4th Celebration we have every year so I will get him to help me with it ... he will get a good laugh out of it and dog me for not thinking about it myself. But he can't say too much ... he didn't think of it either when I asked him for support on the issue. Hahaha.

BTW, thanks for the welcome! I like this site ... LOTS of very kewl add-ons!!!

Thanks again,

LeFeaoux