Dual Channel.....g2d.dll Error/crash

RAM, Video Cards, CPU Etc... get it or give it here...

Moderators: mel wilson, rd, Cat1, ricktobin, gbesoain, groundsquirrel

rd
Forum Moderator - Master member

Dual Channel.....g2d.dll Error/crash

Post by rd » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:57 am

Well, Richy was very helpful with getting my two new sticks to work on my system.

However, I now have a problem with a crash with a message. While flying for anywhere from 1 min to 3 min max, FS9 crashes. I get an error report of *g2d.dll*. I got this several times. When flying my F-16, it CTD. Don't know what happened there, but was real fast in the CTD.

I took out the 2 sticks, and replaced it with the original, and guess what?? I flew for 20 min, with no problems.

I noticed a huge improvement ( however short it was ) in the scenery and what not.

But what the heck is *g2d.dll*. I have googled it, and found alot of FS2000 info for updates, but nothing for FS2004/FS9 as to what could be causing this.

Any idea's guys.

RD
RD

ImageImage

"shhh.... I'm going undercover. "

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:14 pm

LOL...go into your bios, disable video caching and shadowing. Disable fast writes on your vid card found under settings. Also make sure your BIOS is updated (find latest update on mobo manufacturer's page and get your Bro to flash the BIOS). Double check mem settings for compliance in the BIOS and try that. Shout back if no go...

Exx

Flight
Junior SurClaro Member
Junior SurClaro Member

Post by Flight » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 pm

You wouldn't by any chance have an ATI video card? If so the following I found in a user forum may be of interest to you "I was able to solve my crash to desktop with g2d.dll error -- had to turn ATI Overdrive OFF and stability returned."

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:24 pm

RD:

I still do not understand why you replied "HUH" when I explained how I installed my three Memory Boards.

However, here is an attempt to help solve your current problem. Check out this link.

http://www.dll-files.com/

PS: If you explain why you replied "HUH" then perhaps I will be able to sleep better tonight. 8) 8)
I AM NOT A PILOT. I JUST LOVE AVIATION.

CAPTAIN--CIVIL AIR PATROL
...Emergency Services Training Officer
...Instructor at the Florida Wing Conference 2012.
...Mission Observer (front right seat)
...Air Operations Branch Director
...Flew several times in a Cessna 182 with G1000 (maintaining the MFD).
...Attended two day class conducted by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center
...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-Airport-That-Wouldnt-Die.html

rd

Post by rd » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:03 pm

Sorry Skipper,

I didn't understand why you directed your answer to me. I wan't expecting a reply like that.

All is good,,,,Sweet Dreams, lol

BTW, the link you provided works, but has nothing on the *g2d.dll*

RD
RD

ImageImage

Richy2237
SurClaro senior forum member

Post by Richy2237 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:16 pm

skipperdan,

In my last post in the thread in question, My comment was made with a copy of your post in an effort to give credit where due. I just tried to verify that the setup was the same for rd's board. You had it pegged!

Richy.......

Now for the bios settings.....I think Exx has that covered.

Happy New Year!

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:57 pm

RD:
I am referring to your reply in the posting labeled DUAL CHANNEL where I explained how I had configured my three memory boards.

Richy:
I saw your response to RD and appreciate the credit.

I am from the old school where "HUH" is what I used to say when the teacher would ask me a question about the homework assignment that I did not do. I guess that "HUH" must be some kind of Internet Shorthand. 8) 8)

...Completed training for Flight Line Marshall, Flight Release Officer, and Mission Radio Operator.

You should visit your local Civil Air Patrol Squadron and complete an application for membership.
Please watch this video that my son made of a Discovery Flight from Albert Whitted Airport (my home base). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMUg1jiCss
Please check out scenery that I helped develop for Albert Whitted Airport http://www.surclaro.com/download.php?query=KSPG&op=search&cid=
Check out this article in Air and Space Magazine concerning Albert Whitted Airport:

rd

Post by rd » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:11 am

As a matter of fact, I said *HUH* because I did not direct a question to you, and didn't understand why you directed an answer to me.

Let it go, man. Complete misinterpretation on both sides.

But after reading what I needed to do, and not sure if all Mobo's are the same, I didn't understand.

RD
RD

ImageImage

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:54 pm

RD:

Happy New Year.

I'm glad that the misunderstanding has been cleared up.

My system only runs at 333MH which only requires PC2700 (333MH) but my motherboard is rated at 400MH. I am successfully using PC3200 (400MH). I figured that I could always use the faster memory in the future if I ever upgrade or purchase a new system.

Yes, if your system can handle the faster memory, you will get better results by using the faster memory boards in all three slots. However, I doubt if after spending another $65 you will notice a big difference.

Here is a table from the Crucial website:

Memory Speeds
Technology Speed Module Bandwidth
(max theoretical)
SDR PC100 0.8 GB/sec
SDR PC133 1.0 GB/sec
DDR PC1600 1.0 GB/sec
DDR PC2100 2.1 GB/sec
DDR PC2700 2.7 GB/sec
DDR PC3200 3.2 GB/sec
DDR PC4000 4.0GB/sec
DDR2 PC2-3200 3.2GB/sec
DDR2 PC2-4200 4.2GB/sec
DDR2 PC2-5300 5.3GB/sec
DDR2 PC2-6400 6.4GB/sec

The higher the number, the faster the memory; for example, PC133 is faster than PC100, and DDR is faster than SDR.

Remember, it's best to match the memory that is currently in your system.

It might seem confusing, but faster memory will NOT necessarily make your system faster. Your computer will run only as fast as the "slowest link" in your system, so you can't speed up your computer by adding faster memory. The way to make your system faster is to add more megabytes (MB) of memory.

Do I need error checking?
Most desktop computers take what's called "non-parity" memory and do not need error correction code (ECC), or "parity" modules. (However, in most cases ECC modules will work in desktops.) ECC modules look for errors in data and are most often found in servers and other mission-critical applications used by large networks and businesses. There are, however, a few desktop systems that do use ECC modules. In any case, you should buy the type of memory that's already installed in your system. You can tell which kind you have by looking at one of the modules currently installed. Count the RAM chips on one module. If the number of chips can be evenly divided by three or five, you should buy ECC or parity (whichever is offered for your system). If not, you should buy non-parity. For example, if one of your modules has nine RAM chips, you should buy ECC or parity. If one of your modules has eight RAM chips, you should buy non-parity. Or, you can look up your system in the Memory Advisor tool.

If you're building your own system, we recommend using non-parity parts unless you will be using your system as a server or have a need for error checking. ECC and parity parts are slower than non-parity parts.

What does "CL" stand for?
CL stands for CAS (column address strobe) latency, which is the number of clock cycles it takes before data starts to flow after a command is received. Low CAS latency at a given frequency is faster than high CAS latency at that same frequency. (For example, CAS2 is faster than CAS3.) However, lower CAS latency will NOT necessarily make your system faster. Your computer will only run as fast as the "slowest link" in your system, so you can't speed up your computer by adding memory that is faster than your current memory. The way to make your system faster is to add more megabytes (MB) of memory.

In general, we recommend using parts with the fastest speeds. This will give you the highest level of compatibility and future upgrade path.

If you don't know the CAS latency of the memory you currently have installed, don't worry; any of the modules listed in the Memory Advisor tool are guaranteed to work in your system.

Here is a paragraph from the Crucial website that may help you.

Common types of memory technology today include DDR2 (double data rate, second generation) SDRAM and DDR (double data rate, first generation) SDRAM. Many older systems use SDR (single data rate) SDRAM, fast page mode (FPM), or extended data out (EDO). Each of these memory types comes in a variety of speeds. And while most systems will accept only one type of memory technology (the very few motherboards that can accept more than one type of memory will only allow you to use one type at a time), it's okay to mix the speed of the memory in a system. Just keep in mind that your computer is made to handle a specific memory speed, so even if you add a faster speed memory, your computer will only allow it to run at the speed your computer was made to handle. 8) 8)

rd

Post by rd » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:45 pm

Happy New Year all,

OK, I have 3 compatible sticks, 512 mb, PC3200. Over 1.5 gb of memory.

After junking my FS9.CFG, and getting a new one, and modifying the terrain details, I finally can run 35 fps, with very heavy scenery and heavy a/c.

However, I am still getting the *g2d.dll* error. I can fly for different time amounts, on the same scenery. Some times 2 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes. But I still keep crashing with this error.
Exxman Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL...go into your bios, disable video caching and shadowing. Disable fast writes on your vid card found under settings. Also make sure your BIOS is updated (find latest update on mobo manufacturer's page and get your Bro to flash the BIOS). Double check mem settings for compliance in the BIOS and try that. Shout back if no go...

Exx
On the Fast write, I cannot disable it, or change it to *NO*. Everything is current/new for my mobo and BIOS, including drivers.

Any other idea's guys. I would very much appreciate it.

RD
RD

ImageImage

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:54 pm

RD:

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble.

Check out the following statements from the Instructions for the 9.1 Upgrade. I hope that you can find a solution soon.8) 8)

To install the default .dll file:

1. Insert the “Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight” CD-ROM number 2 in your CD-ROM drive.

2. Click the Windows Start button and choose “My Computer.”

3. Highlight and right-click the icon for the CD-ROM drive containing the number 2 CD-ROM. From the right-click menu, choose Open.

4. Select MSGAME3.CAB and open it using Windows Explorer.

5. Copy the affected .dll (for example gps_export.dll to the Modules subdirectory of your Flight Simulator installation directory. (For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules.)

6. Remove the CD-ROM from the drive and restart the Update setup.

NOTE: Previously installed the 3rd party add-on software for Flight Simulator may not work. If any action (such as re-installing the 3rd party add-on software) causes an overwrite of the updated module .dll file, you will lose significant fixes included in the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (update).

rd

Post by rd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:48 pm

cool Skipper,

I will try that, thanks man.

I will let you know after the football game.

RD
RD

ImageImage

skipperdan

Football Game

Post by skipperdan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:47 am

I hope that this does the trick. 8) 8)

rd

Post by rd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:31 am

Skipper, not to you directly, but I did exactly what you said.

Now, what the hell. I start my flight, fly, and in 30 seconds, crash to REBOOT !!! I try to fly again, and it locked up / froze. RESET was the only option.

Do I have to do another %$#@*& , FS9 install ??

RD

did 2 more flights, both crashes
RD

ImageImage

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:04 am

Great,

I just uninstalled FS9, reinstalled it. Basically, another virgin install. Everything, and I do mean everything was deleted. Ran disc clean up, then defrag. Reinstalled FS9, flew for 30+ seconds, and WHAM.

Friggin *g2d.dll* error.

I am done with FS9. I will still be here since I just paid for renewing my membership here.

RD
RD

ImageImage

skipperdan

Post by skipperdan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:14 am

Did you upgrade to version 9.1?

Note: I am not usually on my computer at 4:15am. However, I just could not sleep until I found out who won the Penn State vs Florida State Orange Bowl game. This game ended at 1:00am after three overtimes.

GO PENN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

rd

Post by rd » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:00 pm

Saw the whole game, while trying to get this figured out. Both teams need field goal kickers,,,,lol.

I played FS9 twice after install. Both crashed. Installed the update, flew twice, crashed both times.

Like I said, this was a complete Virgin, re-install. I have nothing of old from my last install, including downloads. Everything is default.

MS, as usual, hasn't answered me or given me any ideas.

RD
RD

ImageImage

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:03 pm

rd,

Just a thought. Did you uninstall the fs9 update before reinstalling?

Richy.....

aleutianman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

fs9 update/crashing

Post by aleutianman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:06 am

rd i tried to install the fs9 update earlier last fall and kept crashing my game after deleting it and reinstalling my fs9 without any third party scenery files i was able to play without problems. don't know if this will help.

rd

Post by rd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:14 am

Thanks guys, but, when I deleted, I did FS9 Update first, thru the uninstall. Then used the FS9 Uninstall, both ways, to make sure. I then deleted anything and everything that I have downloaded, including zips, hidden folders, and what not. I spent over 2 1/2 hours making sure I had everything gone.

My crash code is in the video/graphics arena. Not a typical crash. ( Go Figure, I get the impossible to correct or fix )

RD
RD

ImageImage

Exxman

Post by Exxman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:10 pm

So it's not fixed...hmmm.

Give me a shout online when you can. Got more ideas...

Exx

Richy2237

Post by Richy2237 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:20 am

My crash code is in the video/graphics arena. Not a typical crash. ( Go Figure, I get the impossible to correct or fix )
Exx, fix him up man..Hate to see a grown man wheep. :)

rd

Post by rd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:51 pm

OK, End result was the addition of add0n scenery that got corrupted, as well as the use of rendering with the 3 memory sticks.

Deletion, and redownloading the addon scenery, took care of the problem.

RD